Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dinner with Hyon




Even though I got up early to make Michele's lunch (hopefully the last for awhile), I went back to bed. I got up later to eat and cut charm squares. I am surprized at how often I find myself doing this. At almost 10 we all piled into the car. Chris dropped me off at the thrift shop and the rest went back to the National Museum of Korea to see the fine arts exhibit. For four hours I listened to Mary Ann, shelved books, organized VCR tapes, and fretted over the waste of one very large pair of raw silk curtains. They were stained, but much material could have been salvaged. I think they went to charity.
When we left the thrift shop, Alison had a box to carry to the DHL, so I helped her carry it there, where she caught a taxi home. Mary Ann came along, and we talked for another hour or so. We were outside, listening to the rain and cringing at the thunder and lightning. What a storm. And then it was over. I caught a bus back to our gate and came home. I cut more charm squares (where did this obsession come from?) and then it was time to dress for dinner. Chris and his mother had baked a pan of brownies and I frosted them with the leftover chocolate cream cheese icing that I made for his birthday cake. We drove to Hyon's apartment. Such a view from her apartment! She had invited others, too, but they didn't come. So we talked for a long time and had dinner. She likes to pose quesions and have every one answer them. Tonight's quesion was "Who would you like to have dinner with and where?". We had to go around the table 3 times answering. Then she got a call that our car lights were on. So Chris went down to find out that the car wouldn't start. We all walked down then, and met a man who was willing to help us jump our car. It was very windy. Michele is wearing the hat she made. Then we came home and Chris took the car for a ride to charge up the battery.

No comments: