Monday, June 22, 2009

Her first day



Today was Michele's first day of the Summer Hire program. So I packed lunches for her and Chris. She dressed in her newcustom make suit. She took the 7:20 bus but dashed back in at 7:50 to grab some documents, complaining that the electronic door keypad didn't work. I figured she was just in too much of a hurry to key the code properly. Meanwhile I rushed around making a sample of the strip block that I was to demo today, and packed up my machine for class. I met Pam at the gate and we proceeded to the ACS building where we all meet. The demo went well and most ladies were pleased with their efforts. Some brought their kids, who helped too. Then Michele called to tell me that she would be working at the drivintg range and was let out early, so she went home but couldn't get in the apartment. She called Chris for his key but he wasn't in the office. She rode the bus to meet me at the ACS building because she had a check to deposit. But then her feet hurt too much from walking in heels. So I went to the bank for her, and met Chris who had returned. I went to give Michele her deposit slip and the keys and she discovered she had another check! Ha! She and I then had lunch with the quilters and then went to a tour of the Stork's Nest. It is three buildings where pregnant military wives (and their families) come to stay while they wait to give birth. The first building is 3 large rooms with associated bathrooms. The second one is 5 small rooms and 2 communal bathrooms (m & f). I am sorry to report that the women have to share one toilet while the men have 3. I didn't take pictures of the first two buildings because all the rooms were filled. The third building is still being furnished. Each family there will have a livingroom, bedroom and bathroom. And all buildings have a communal kitchen. The staff is hoping people (or groups) will 'adopt' a suite and decorate it.
After the tour I went home, leaving my sewing machine in Pam's car because I had too much to carry. I spent the afternoon cutting out three pairs of shorts and cleaning up my cutting table. Chris did not come home for supper because he was out with 'the guys'. And then he went to bed early.

No comments: