Saturday, June 6, 2009

Graduation Day


Michele had to be there early, so Chris took her over and came back for the rest of us. We got there about half an hour early. The place (Collier Field House gymnasium) was buzzing with activity. It was decorated with more balloons than I have ever seen at one time, all in blue and white, the school colors. Many people had bouquets of flowers to give to their graduates after the ceremony. When the seniors filed in, I had trouble photograping Michele because my camera screen turned itself off waiting for her to appear. Standing in line at the front waiting for the rest of the students to file in, Michele waved at me and turned to the one next to her and said "That's my mom". I felt tears in my eyes. Then followed a series of speeches, most of which I couldn't make out. Was it the sound system or my ears? After a speech about appreciating parents, all parents were asked to stand and each senior found their parent to hand them a rose and a commemorative plate. Again with the tears. At last they handed out diplomas, calling out each seniors name and where they would attend college next fall.

After the ceremony we took a close-up of her in her cap and gown (and sash embroidered with her name), which she gets to keep. Chris drove us home where we ate lunch and changed clothes. I cried some more thinking that Michele's childhood is over. Chris dropped me off at the hooch so I could give it one last cleaning before it's inspection. Then they all caught the subway to visit Yonsei University. It is quite the sprawling campus and so, not wanting to walk too far, they came back early and went to the Oasis, a restaurant in the DHL. Meanwhile I cleaned the hooch, mopping floors and cleaning cupboards. Then I called Chris to pick me up. He brought me to the restaurant. The others had finished, but stayed until I ate a hamburger. Then we ordered dessert. Michele brought hers home. They watched a movie and I cut more charm squares from a bag of scraps someone gave me.

3 comments:

Gwenda said...

You almost had me in tears too! The part about Michele's childhood being over got to me! I've been starting to think about that sort of thing too. Kassie only has two more years of high school! Looking back, time went quickly. The time when all seven of my children are still at home together won't be much longer. However, Kassie will likely go to a local college and still live at home.

Gail said...

What a wonderful day!
Congratulations to Michele, and to Mom and Dad!
How nice that Al and Cecily could be there, too.
Blessings,
Gail

Fern said...

I think most students so look forward to the distant goal of graduation, but when it come around, it seems too soon.