Friday, September 9, 2011

The Dress

Because the room is so dark, the day light did not wake me up. It was almost 8. So I read until
9, daring the rain to stop me. But it held off until I finished. Then I had breakfast and perused e-mail. Cathy called once and I called her once. My phone died and I put it on the charger. I sent an e-mail to the Pfaff man to get our parts back, and I got an e-mail from the Community Connections that we are not eligible to advertise in "A Glance at Yongsan" for free. Bummer. It is just an e-mail they send out, wouldn't cost them anything to add a few lines. And we are a community service, a not-for-profit group. About 2:45 I pushed myself away from the computer and went to Itaewon to pick up my dress. It was raining lightly on and off. I sat in the store while we waited for the tailor to come. He had my dress in a bag. I tried it on, and both the tailor and the proprietor told me how good it looked. See for yourself, but I think it makes me look older and wider. This man is the tailor and he only makes ladies clothes. I was assured that he is the best. The dress seems a little big to me but he said a dress made of silk should not be tight. The proprietor put the dress in a suit bag to keep it clean and dry. I took it home and hung it in the closet. When Chris came home, he saw it and was concerned that I wasn't too happy with it. When I complained that it made me look older, he said I was older. Do I slap him now or later? He made bison for supper and since Michele wasn't home, we used that time wisely ;) Chris said he was surprised that I ordered such a plain style of dress. He couldn't verbalize what he had in mind, so I got out my dress patterns to show him. I was inspired to make another dress, but this time it would be like the red one I showed the tailor, which he (the tailor) talked me out of. We ate supper and then Michele came home. I made another purple and green block and added my 4 new blocks to the quilt. Now is it finished, or does it need a border? I put on a movie called "Wake" in my sewing room. I ironed the dress pattern and cut out the pieces. Then I did some measuring. According to my measurements and the measurements on the back of the pattern envelop, I need to make a size 18. Can that possibly be true? This is why I gave up making clothes from patterns. In the past I have made the large size indicated and then it was too big so what is a person supposed to do? At 10 Chris got a call from an interviewer for a job in Washington. He did not think it went well. Now I think I am ready for bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not an 18 and never have been. Not even when you were pregnant with Michele. You are so fit there is no way you're even bigger than a 8.
Okay dress looks a little dark especially with black diagonal stripes in it. Fern what is your absolute favorite color to wear? Once you know that, you should make your dress that color so you feel fabulous in it even if you had a run in your stockings. Maybe tape up the hem and see if you like it just above your knees.
AL from CA

Fern said...

Thanks, AL. Dark blue usually looks good on me, but this dress is almost purple. Still, I don't think it is the color so much as the fit. And that is what I paid so much for.