Friday, September 30, 2011

Goodbye IMCOM-K

I got up early to read, but it was too cold. So I started my day with the usual onslaught of e-mail: a few missives from friends, and LOTS of ads and articles. Somewhere in there I ate breakfast, showered and dressed. Last night I asked Chris what the dress code for the color-casing ceremony was, and he said 'what you're wearing is fine'. So this morning I put on black pants and a black top. Chris picked me up at the gate at 9:30. It seemed plenty early for a 10am ceremony at Collier field, but parking was hard to come by since the garrison was having their fall outing. We parked at gate 17 and walked back. The other IMCOM-K spouses were dressed up. Oh well. We had designated seating on the front row, facing the 8th army band. The trombones were up front. I loved it. The ceremony was on time, if not early. There was lots of army protocol, saluting, standing at attention, or parade rest, etc. The history of IMCOM-K was read aloud, former IMCOM-K generals and CSM's were honored, a speech was given. The IMCOM-K flag was rolled up and a long tube was drawn over it. I thought casing it meant putting it in a frame. Another oh well. I did not take pictures 'cause official photographers were there, and I figured the pics would be on Facebook and I could borrow one. When the ceremony was over, the Demko's invited us and the Johnson's out to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. It was very good. Mr. Demko's wife is Korean and knew just what to order and how to order it. We shared at least 4 entrees, and shrimp rice and noodles. It was too much food. The conversation was excellent and we had a great time. We all rode in one car. When we got back to our car, Chris drove me to mine, and then I drove right back to gate 17. I went to Namdaemun. It might be my last time, so I did a bit of wandering. I got more of the little footies that I wear with my flats, and I got 4 of the soup bowls that keep the soup so hot it boils at the table. Not sure why. As a beholder, I am amazed at its heat retention properties, but as an eater, I think what is the point of keeping food too hot to eat? I got some things for a friend, too. I saw a vat of chicken feet. If they had been cooked, I would have ordered some just to try them, but they were raw. Sadly I did not have my camera even though I remembered packing it. The temperature dropped and I started looking for the subway. The soup bowls got heavier the longer I walked. I was glad to finally find the station. When I got home, it was after 5. I ate the three persimmons I bought at the market. They were too soft to keep. Michele was watching Lord of the Rings. I watched a bit, then checked e-mail. Chris came home. I fell asleep on the couch 'cause the flannel quilt was just too inviting. Later Chris put me to bed, but I woke up tasting kimchi and I had to brush my teeth. So now I am posting to my blog and going back to bed.

No comments: