Monday, September 5, 2011

Taking care of details


I woke up at 8, went down to read in the courtyard. As it was later than usual, kids were outside playing. There were three boys, kinda noisy. I ignored them so I could read. Then two of them had to leave. But the one that was left knew me from second grade math class. So he decided to tell me about the 'somethings' that are growing in a tank in his apartment, and about a movie he saw . But not in a fashion that I could decipher what happened. When he left, I went back to reading. But all he had done was go get his bike. Then he sat on it and told me why cats open their mouths to sniff the air, and about some surfer who gets attacked by sharks every time he goes surfing and .... Luckily it was 9 and I was done. So I took my leave and went upstairs to have breakfast. Michele left soon after for college. Chris wanted to get some shoes re-soled near Itaewon, so I grabbed my bad shoes and stuff and followed him. We parked at the gas station gate, and walked to the right outside the gate. On the other side of the pedestrian bridge, there was a 'cubicle' housing a man who fixes shoes. Chris arranged for his shoes, and then when the man saw mine which needed gluing, he said he would do them for free. We walked up hill to Itaewon. We stopped at What the Book for a copy of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Michele needs it and The Hobbit for a class she is taking. But they did not have The Hobbit. They did have lots of Star Trek books, but I did not get any. Then we went to the place the Chris and Michele had their suits made. I had my favorite dress and a piece of expensive silk from Thailand. I had been thinking for some time that I wanted to have a dress custon made. Not only would I then have a nice dress to wear, but I could use it to make a pattern so I could make more properly fitted dresses. I never thought that they would want $300 to make the dress! Yet, expensive silk needs to be sewn properly and you only get one chance since needles holes will be permanent. So I agreed. I thought getting a second one made at the same time would be cheaper, but he still wanted $250. No. Anyway, I put on my dress, and the chief tailor measured me. And suggested changing the lines of the dress, saying it would be more flattering. He had better be right. He asked me to come back tomorrow afternoon for a fitting. Then Chris and I walked back to post. We went to the thrift shop to see if they had The Hobbit. They did not, but Chris got two DVD's. Then we stopped by his office to get some empty coffee cans. We parked inside gate 17 and walked to the organic market. I bought kimchi and 10 eggs, which we put in the coffee cans. Chris dropped me off at our walk-in gate. I took the eggs and kimchi home, while he went to get the shoes. He returned a while later. Michele was home already, only having 1 class on Monday's. I ate lunch and checked e-mail. They watched the two DVD's from the thrift shop. I sat in on the second part of a movie called Akita. It made no sense to me, and not to Michele either, who saw the entire thing. Chris made supper which we ate during the movie. then he put on Journey to the Center of the Earth. Now that it is over, I am blogging and might do some sewing before I go to bed.
*Another random quilt, indicative of the cooler weather I am anticipating *

No comments: