Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nothing says 'I Love You' like squid and seaweed

I did not read this morning because it was raining - hard! So I got on my computer and read e-mail both before and after breakfast. I got an e-mail from my sister that my parents are in the hospital. Mom is there for therapy and Dad moved in to watch her so she doesn't fall. Then MaryAnn Skyped me for awhile. She thought giving me a hard time would make me feel better. Of course. What are friends for? When I got to the thrift shop, almost no one was there. Ms. Chung had a gift for me - squid and seaweed. Now with a gift like that, you know she shopped just for me. Most of the books donated were in Korean and we have plenty so they all went to charity. Not much to shelve, so I counted puzzles. The one I most wanted to count was still new in the box so there was no reason to count it. Hmph! I checked a few games for missing pieces and priced them, and put them out on the shelves. I also priced the Singer sewing machine, the Touch-n-Sew bobbins and cams, and the antique buttonholer attachment. Around 2:15 I sat in my car and ate cashews for energy. Then I drove to gate 17 and went to Dongdaemun. I bought a roll of VB for backings and some other stuff that caught my eye. Ms. Kang was very generous with the remnant pile. I saw Mr. Kang near the elevators. He pulled out his phone and called up the October calendar. He tapped on Oct. 11th for the luncheon and I nodded. Then I tapped on the 22nd and pantomimed leaving. He looked sad and tears came to my eyes. There goes his retirement. On the way back to the subway, I decided to stop by the Moda man. He showed me the new stuff he had. When I asked if it was 3500 won, he said no, it was 4000. I hung my head at the price, but really it is still quite a savings over stateside prices, so I bought some anyway. I was going to head to Namdaemun, too, but had very little money left and too much to carry. So I just went home. I had a bite to eat and checked e-mail. I almost forgot to get the potholder demo ready. Fortunately I had the pieces from last year still in the closet. I sewed together some strips of batting to make pieces big enough for potholder. As I turns out, I did not need to. During class, no one finished early enough to make the potholders. As you can see in this picture, the apron is too long for her. But another lady made the same one extra wide for her husband. He came to pick her up at the end of class. She had him try it on and it was like a bib on him 'cause he was so big. I should have had a pic of that. Esther stopped by to give me a bag of kimchi she made a year ago, I think. I am always glad to have kimchi. But when I got home and tried it, I labeled it OMG kimchi. Very spicy! It was really good with a bit of pork.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Mr. Kang is going to miss you so much.I'm glad you may be able to see him in Oct before you go.
Hope you have a great weekend.
AL from CA