Monday, September 26, 2011

Viewing an apartment


Even though I think I had trouble sleeping last night, I had no trouble getting up this morning. I was out in the courtyard by 7. It was a little chilly sitting there in my bare feet and it occurred to me that it might be time to shift to reading in the afternoons. Chris came by, back from work, to get his cell phone. He kissed me as he left. When I went back up stairs, I fixed breakfast and sat in front of my computer to read e-mail. But it would not connect to the internet. So I rebooted, but then it was still acting strangely. I tried another restart, but it would not respond. So I turned to the older computer. By the time it booted up, breakfast was finished, and I had to take my shower and get dressed for quilting. I brought two kinds of cheeses, and my quilt for show-and-tell. No one was at the SPC when I arrived. I started carrying in the equipment until Cathy came. Judy and Ok were not long behind her. We had started a large number of baby quilts last week, and we finished them off today. !6 in all. One walking foot failed to perform to Cathy's expectations, so I tried the one I had for sale. She did not like it either. But at least it did work. Lots of women came but most did not stay the whole day. I was the last person to leave. I took all my stuff and the garbage outside, stopping off at the trash center. I put everything but my purse in the trunk and drove to gate 19. I walked to E-Mart to shop for a friend. I found someone to show me where the aprons were. They said they did not have the rice bowls I wanted. I went upstairs to the electronics market to get an R4 card. They did not speak much English and I did not speak much Korean. I did understand it would take 30 minutes. But what were they doing? I asked the lady about rice bowls and she showed me the housewares section. Those were REALLY expensive. She mentioned E-Mart and I say they didn't have it. But she couldn't quite believe that, so she took me down there, and yes, they did, but only as a three piece set with the soup bowls. The thirty minutes were up and we went back to her stand. The man with her handed me a DS card, I got the impression that it was an R4 with a copy of Maple story on it. I hope I understood him correctly. Then I walked back to post, and drove to my gate. When I opened my trunk to take out the quilt, it was not there. I looked several times in case my brain just had trouble interpreting what it saw. But no, it was not there. Since it makes no sense that someone would steal an unfinished quilt, I concluded that somehow I did not put it in there. I went home perplexed. But as I walked in the door, Michele was getting ready to walk out. She was going to meet Chris to look at an apartment that her friend found an advertisement for. Tired as I was, I wanted to go along. So I followed her. The three of us took the subway at Noksapyeong to Hapjong. Chris called the agent at several points during the trip and the particulars of meeting kept changing. We met Conza and ate supper until time to meet the agent. Then we missed him and had to change stations, but finally found him. He showed us an apartment that was 2 rooms and a sparse kitchen. No stove, oven, fridge, washer or dryer. I wouldn't like it, but figured it was about what a student could expect. He walked us to the nearest bus stop and left. Michele checked the bus routes to college from there. Then we walked to the subway and went home. I was too tired to sew, but rested until I got up the energy to read a few e-mails before bedtime, and making the sandwich. I wonder if I am forgetting something I promised to do.
* Judy's quilt from show and tell *

No comments: