Friday, September 16, 2011

The one thing you should never ever assume...

...that your backing will fit your quilt top. I was late getting to the AnC center because I woke up a little late, and because just as I was leaving, I remembered that I hadn't recorded my volunteer hours for the month of August. When I got to the AnC center, I oiled the machine, chose my thread color, turned on the computer, pinned on the backing, cut off two yards of king size batting, trimming it sideways to a little wider than my quilt top. And then I put it all together and said a few unladylike words. The backing was too narrow. Not by much, but 'close' only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. So I jumped in the car thinking to piece a backing somehow. I went home and thought it would be easier to add side strips to the one already on the machine, and I could do it without unpinning it from the leaders. So I brought some teal fabric that almost matched the backing. I cut two lengthwise strips from it. I unzipped the leaders, and unpinned 4 inches on each end. I rotary cut the selvedge edges off, and sewed the strips on. You can kinda see it in the pic. Then I zipped the leaders back on and went from there. I auditioned a bunch of edge-to-edge designs, looking for something quick and simple. I figure it won't show anyway. The one I chose was a leaf and loop design. Each row only took 12 minutes, and there were only 4 rows. I was done before two. Mary came over with her quilt. Her backing was the proper size and she brought batting. She chose a simple and quick design too. So we were out by 4. We paid at the front desk. I had to sign into their new MWR tracking system. Apparently it has been in effect for a while, but I never heard about it. It would not take me as a spouse because Chris wasn't in it. So they told me to sign up as a sponsor. No problem. I gave Mary a ride home, and went home myself. I sat to read e-mail and eat lunch. Chris came home before Michele. He pulled cheeseburgers and steak from the freezer for supper. Then he put on "Operation Petticoat", our latest Netflix arrival. Although it was set during the war, it was pretty funny. Then I went back to my computer to Skype with my parents, but they weren't on yet. Chris got a Skype interview, and I tried hard to listen in while keeping an eye on my Skype screen. When it was over, he wanted to know how I thought he did. I thought he did well. And now I am ready for bed, but still waiting for the call (which, I see by e-mail, has been delayed due to a dead monitor).

No comments: