Thursday, November 13, 2014

Double trouble

I went to bed inside. I slept sideways and got a good nights rest. I awoke with the alarm, but delayed getting up for a few minutes. I turned on the router and laptop. I moved the laptop to the dining room. It connected to the router, but insisted that the router was not connected to the internet. So I went to the desktop, and it was connected to the internet. I checked e-mail there and found one from our handyman detailing a huge bill for the painting which he and his men haven't even finished yet. He also said he hadn't heard from the moving company, but then none of us can reach him by phone, so I think the problem must be with his phone. I forwarded the e-mail to our agent. I stressed. I checked the laptop and it wanted to reboot after loading a Windows update. So I did that, and then it connected to the internet. I got dressed and took out the recyclables. I e-mailed the handyman to stop work until he talks to Chris. I got a long skype from Maryann.  I juiced as quickly as possible (a cucumber and a zucchini), then grabbed my purse and a project, and headed out in Chris' car to Stitch'Its. They asked if I spent last night in the tent. I told them no. Marjorie strongly encouraged me to ask for a mold inspection even though I have not actually seen mold. One lady suggested I ask the duct people to stop if they see any mold and let me take a picture. Susan said to run a paper towel around a duct to see what it would pick up.  I left at 2:15 to come home. I felt a little more comfortable driving Chris car, and downshifting to turn corners. I read e-mail and found out that the large bill is actually double what I thought it was! Yikes! I tried calling the rental agent again. She did not answer. I made breakfast, but stopped in the middle to go look for mold. Sometimes I feel like a ball in a pinball machine, bouncing from one thought or idea to another. I looked for mold in the garage and took some pics of discolored insulation. I loosened the ceiling in the basement bathroom and ran a piece of tp along the edge but it did not pick up any visible mold. I took a pic of the corner where there was a water stain. Inconclusive. I finished making and eating breakfast while listening to an audio (which refused to pause).  I got an e-mail from the rental agent with a list of things that still needed doing, but not addressing anything else. I wrote back. I listened to an audio on my laptop in my laptop backpack so I could rake leaves off of the porch and patio. It was bitterly cold and my hands froze. No tent tonight for me. I went in and sat down to listen, tap, and check intermittently for e-mail from Chris or Parker. I went to the garage to look for a small jar of paint that we might have brought back from Pinehurst. But it was not there. I did find an Inglenook cookbook which I thought was my mom's. I kept tapping. It felt like all the years of scrimping and saving to have nice things one day have been suddenly sucked away by one bad decision. All that sacrifice wasted. All my efforts to spend wisely, save money and do without: down the drain. I felt sick, and despondent, and angry. Knowing that I have to be at the stitch-in tomorrow by 9, I pre-made tomorrow's breakfast as much as I could.   I looked up cabinet hardware at Home Depot 'cause their e-mail said they are having a sale. While I was looking, Chris skyped me. We talked for a bit, but since he hadn't read my e-mails yet, we hung up so he could read them and I could vacuum. I called him back when I finished. We talked about what to do to about the large bill. We also discovered that e-mails I thought I had sent to Parker actually went to Chris. Some issue with Gmail's conversation feature which groups e-mails. After his call, I went into the kitchen for a bite to eat. I fed the ants, then listened to an audio on parasites. Did you know you can get parasites from your spouse? Your pets? Your kitchen? Some people get them from overseas, but most get them right in their own country. Some parasites are helpful. He recommended spicy food, sleep, and cold showers (among other things).
*  this is our neighbor's tree  *

No comments: