Monday, November 24, 2014

Memory's

I went to bed trying to stop the voice in my head that kept hijacking my thoughts. I had found it hard to concentrate on the audio because the voice was screaming at me. And when I went to bed, it was louder. I tried to distract myself and I started wondering where the air from the vents in the basement go since the air return is upstairs. That prompted me to open the basement door. No point in my valuable heat getting pushed into the garage. Then I let out some real emotion. I won't go into it, but it seemed like a good idea.
Got up when the alarm went off. Sat out in the sun, reading, brought in the water collection tubs, there was not enough to be worth filtering, so I put it in a jar to water plants. I wanted to use the tarp to drag the bush clippings to the street for pick up today, but my back was in no mood for such a things. But I did not like the idea of them sitting there harming the grass for a whole weed. I unloaded the dishwasher, rearranged a few dishes so I could reach them better. I checked e-mail, computer shut down while I was looking for the number for the computer repair place. I had to boot up and reboot 4 times before the software would respond to the mouse. I called the repair place and no one answered. I exercised, and called again. This time someone answered. The tech wanted me to bring in one of the memory sticks in my desktop to match it. He said not to shut it down, but not to unplug it before opening the case. I wrote to Chris while I made and ate breakfast. Chris said it was alright to leave it plugged in, and to shut down the power strip if I was worried. So I shut it down and turned the case around, but there was a light inside and the screen said something about a memory test. I cut off the power strip which got rid of both of those. I had to unplug several somethings in order to get to the memory sticks. I removed one and put it in a static-free bag (which happened to have a hard drive already in it). I put the laptop and memory in the laptop case. I opened the windows and turned off the heat. I loaded my sewing stuff in the back of Chris' car. I drove to the computer place, passing the entrance and turning around. On the way I got a phone call but could not talk on the phone while shifting gears. I presented the laptop and memory stick to the lady at the counter. She accepted the laptop and the tech brought out two new, faster memory sticks. He laughed at mine. Their credit card machine wasn't working, so they put the memory on my tab. I left, and returned Terry's call. But when I tried to drive away, the key would not turn in the ignition. I tried it every which way. The manual said the key might be dirty. I cleaned it. I was certain this was a 'feature', but could not find it. Finally I called Dinah. She came from quilting to help. She could not start it either, but when she read the manual, she looked under 'locked steering wheel' and pulled it to the left, harder than I had tried. Then the key worked and she followed me to the church. The ladies were finishing up lunch. Several were working by hand on Bertha's quilt. I set up my machine but did so much talking that I did not get started for some time. I worked on the quilt pattern for October. When I sewed all I could, and needed a larger ruler for trimming, I packed up to come home. The key gave me no trouble. I brought my stuff in from the car. I spread out the tarp to dry. I used three towels to dry out the tent, then left it to air out. I hung the towels on the fence to dry. I laid the computer tower on its side. I vacuumed the fan ports. I replaced the memory stick and added the two new ones. I turned on the computer and checked to see that it recognized the added GBs. I checked e-mail and finished an audio from yesterday. I had a bite to eat and then tried calling Parker. No answer so I left a message. I booted up the old computer to see how much memory it had. I had to do it several times before I got it running right. Either it was 1 GB  or 256 MB.  Chris skyped me and I talked to him for awhile. I copied files to the flashdrive and it looked like it worked, but what was on the stick was garbled. I played a game that I haven't seen in years called Collapse. I searched the old computer for embroidery files of crosses. The one design I liked was too small. So I used the newer desktop to search the internet. I found a better one, but wasn't sure it would run on my 16 yo machine. So I signed up for one of their free designs as a test. I tried to use the old computer to download the file so I could write it to the card writer, but it could not find e-mail. Then I realized that it wasn't connected to the internet. But it was too late, so I shelved the idea for another day. 
*  This is one of the quilts from the guild meeting.  I am too tired to download what I took today.  * 

No comments: