Thursday, November 6, 2014

I've made my bed...now I'll lie in it



I tapped for a long time, then used an umbrella to go to the tent.  There was some water in the tent, but I brought a towel.  By the light of a flashlight, I remade the blankets on the bed so more were under me and only one on top due to the warmth of the night.  I made my bed so then I laid in it.  I listened to the rain falling on the tarp. I put on mp3 headphones and went to sleep.  I slept all night, and woke up around 7, surprised that I did not have to get up to tinkle. But a full bladder did make it harder to crawl out of the tent.  Then I started my routine.  I plugged the desktop computer into the modem to bypass wifi.  I read e-mail, took out recyclables, and rocessed rainwater.  I killed some flies (not sure where they are coming from).  The young ones are easier to catch.  I left a voicemail for Parker. I listened to a meditation, and juiced by 9:30.  Amazing. Later I realized that I had forgotten to do my exercises. I made and ate breakfast, and read e-mail.  I changed clothes, and drove in Chris’ car to Stitch-Its.  I went late ‘cause they have potluck on the first Thursday of each month and its embarrassing to explain why I don’t eat what most people do.  I did not bring my machine either.  I figured there would not be much room since potluck is a popular day to come.  I sat and talked with the ladies, having a good time.  They told me they were playing the swap game at their Christmas meeting and I was expected to attend to explain how the game works.  Gee, I haven’t played in a year!  I left at 2 to avoid school traffic.  When I got home, I changed my shoes, ate a few bites of cabbage, hummus and fermented nuts.  I put some rain water in a water bottle and found my jacket.  I put $2 in my fanny pack and headed out to my car.  I drove it to the road that goes to the base of the mountain.  Terry was waiting for me, but only to tell me she wasn’t going and here was Marta to give me a ride.  She said she was going fabric shopping, but when the rest of us went on the hike and had to climb rocks, I knew the real reason.  Every step was a twisted ankle waiting to happen. If trails were rated like movies, I would have given this one an “R”.  I worried about a misstep putting my back out. Parker called early in the hike to tell me she had met with our handyman and he hadn’t accomplished much in the three weeks he and his men have been working. Returning to the parking lot in the dark was definitely not my cup of tea.  Terry was the smart one.  Marta dropped me off near my car and waited for me to get under way.  I got home easily enough.  I decided to have lots of meat for supper.  I put chunks of heart and broth in a bowl and put it in the toaster oven.  Then I sat down to read e-mail on desktop.  I sent Chris a message asking if Skype was on the desktop since I did not see it. Then I sat at my laptop to watch an episode of X-Files.  When it was over, I considered watching the next one since it ended with “To be continued”.  Don’t you just hate that?  By then Chris had sent me a message that he was ready for our nightly skype call.  So I rewired the setup to empower the router so I could skype him on the laptop.  He told me how to install skype on the desktop.  We talked about the progress (or lack thereof) at the Pinehurst house.  Just before the call ended, I received the pictures Parker had promised to send.  I had to sign up for dropbox to see them.  I sent the most relevant ones to Chris.  Then I replied to Parker so she would know I got her e-mail this time.  I installed Skype on the desktop.  I placed a Swanson’s order by the midnight deadline for the latest deal.    I ordered a few other things online that they don’t sell.   Then I posted to my blog and intended to go to bed.

No comments: