Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving - a delightful day

I got up at 8, which was pretty good since I stayed up 'till after midnight to play the Rubik's ball game. I had fond memories of playing it with Michele. That couldn't have been more than 10 years ago and yet the configurations seemed new. I started my day with swishing but then I ate some leftover pumpkin seeds which threw the pre-breakfast supplements off. I tried to price memory cards online but could not find any for the old computer. I checked e-mail. There was one explaining that citric acid is usually made by growing a GM mold on GM corn sugar. And there was one from a neighbor who wants me to hire another neighbor by the hour to do all the yard work at the house in Pinehurst. So the voice in my head started up with all the reasons this was a bad idea and I should tell them so. I tried to do my exercises, but the voice kept hijacking my thoughts and driving me nuts. Finally I wrote a nicely-worded e-mail thanking them but saying we couldn't afford yard work right now. Then, as I exercised the voice was telling me I should have written it differently, added this, subtracted that, etc. Grr. When the exercises were done, I turned to juicing. Trying to separate veggies between a salad and juice kept stonewalling me. It just shouldn't have been that hard, but I messed with the schedule and that confused everything. So I fixed the salad first, and then juiced what was left. The salad needed color in the center and all I could find was half a lemon. Then I drizzled olive oil on it and added pumpkin seeds. I wrapped it in plastic and realized it was bigger than I intended. Then I put a turkey burger in a small container to bring along. I took a shower and dressed. I hunted up some yarn and a hook. What I found was the beginning of a crocheted scarf from a year or two ago. I looked up the weather and changed to a long-sleeved shirt. I got in Chris' car and drove towards Harvest. But when I got to University, there was an accident. I called Terry to find an alternate route to her house. She said to take the highway past JoAnns. So I did that. Going down University was much easier than Drake and Jordan because the lights were in sync. Then being on the highway was good, too because of the lack of traffic lights. I reached her house with no problem but stalled in the driveway. I did not relish the drive home.  She had the table set on the glassed-in porch, and her mother was seated at the table in a wheelchair. The food was ready, so Terry said the prayer and then we ate. I tried her pickled okra and found it went really well with my turkey burger. She made me some hot tomato juice with celery and it was good, too. We had a good time chatting. After lunch, her husband showed me their rainwater collection system. Impressive. Then we went into the living room to visit. Chris called to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving. They told me about their house, and I told them about mine. She showed me her sewing room and some of her quilts. About 5:30 I got up to go. She offered to drive me home and I couldn't resist her generous proposal. Her husband needed a few minutes, so she let me play her electric piano. Then she took her mother back to the home and her husband drove me home in Chris' car. He drove better than I could have. We discussed the finer points of driving stick shift. She came by my house to pick him up. Then I called Dad to wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. I ate the rest of my salad while reading e-mail and then Chris skyped me. After the call, I was supposed to write to my blog and go to bed, but somehow the Rubik's ball game came back up and I executed a few more rounds. Go me!
*  Terry's quilt looks even better than in the picture.  *  

No comments: