Sunday, November 9, 2014

The five unprepared bridesmaids



I intended to turn off the electricity to the house last night and see how I slept.  But at the last moment I decided it could turn too cold to have the heat off.  And it was really late when Chris and Michele hung up from skype, so I just went to bed.
    I guess I heard the alarm in the morning, because I got up about 8:30.  I checked e-mail, made breakfast, took a shower and got ready for church.  I did something else that I specifically wanted to remember to include in my blog but I have forgotten now.  I took my choir folder and went to church.  When I got there, the choir wasn’t quite ready to warm up.  So I had plenty of time to settle in my pew.   Then we sang our song, and it went well.  Several ladies with young kids sat in my pew.  Their sons were energetic and disruptive.  When new members were introduced, I could not hear what was said about them.  After the service, I showed Cecelia a pic of Michele.  She saw both of us in our daughter.  I stood in line to shake hands with the intern and the pastor.  She had given the sermon based on the story of the 10 bridesmaids.  I told her my idea that if the 5 unprepared bridesmaids had pooled their remaining oil, one of them could have stayed behind while the others went to town to buy more.  The one who stayed behind could have let the others in when they got back.  I passed by the counter where Terry Sanders was selling raffle tickets for the quilt to raise money for the intern fund.  He said they have sold $435 in tickets so far.  Even though it is only 5 days of what it costs to have an intern, it made me feel good.  I don’t think I could have sold it for that much.  From church I went to Publix for groceries.  I did not have a list other than the one in my mind, but I think I got everything I needed.  One of the clerks said I must have a double because she sees me shop there every day.  Hmm.  I brought my groceries home with me and put them away.  I ate a few bites from jars of fermented stuff.  I changed my clothes.  I looked at e-mail and saw pics of appliances that Parker had mailed to me.  I searched online for reviews, and told her which ones to get.  I also called her, but she did not answer.  I searched for a hand sewing project to take with me, and decided to take my usual project and just work it by hand for something to do.  I got to the unit by 3.  One lady had her daughter and infant granddaughter there.  So I called Denise who had forgotten it was today and came over.  She got to hold the baby and talk to the mother.  As a group we chatted about the larger quilt group.  I learned many things.  They underscored the importance of answering the recent survey that was e-mailed to all members.  About 5:30 Denise had to leave, so I walked out with her.  It was cold outside and I hadn’t brought a coat.  She promised we’d get together this week.  Then I went home.  I put sweet potatoes in the oven, and ran a small load of laundry to re-wash the sweatshirt that was still stained after going through the wash yesterday.  I checked e-mail, including the survey.  I was going to print it, so I turned on the desktop.  I had to reboot it 3 times before it would accept input from the mouse.  But then I made notes by hand on how to answer so I wouldn’t have to print out 5 pages of stuff.  Then I checked the potatoes.  The small Korean ones were done.  I ate one and put the rest back for 20 minutes.  I folded laundry. At the end of that time, I took the other small sweet potato and ate it with butter, cinnamon, and raspberries.  Quite good.  I read more e-mail, then put on the last episode of X-Files.  After it was over, I looked through the special effects.  There were deleted scenes that could only be viewed if you clicked on the x which appears briefly somewhere during the show.  I went looking for the x.  I finally found it and saw the scene. Then I popped the DVD out and prepared it to be mailed Netflix.  By then Chris should have been online, but he wasn’t.  I wrote up my blog post.  I watched Andy Dooley videos on Youtube.   Finally I decided that I needed to go to bed, sad that we could not talk tonight.
*  This is another bag, made from the same pattern as the one shown yesterday.   *

No comments: