Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bad moment at the pump

I awoke early again, having slept on the couch in the computer room. Since there are no curtains, the daylight wakes me up. I resolved to re-do the audio file on my theta session, and this time talk much slower. Also I taped the bubblewrap more securely over the open window because I could feel cold air eddying around my face.
Then the usual exercise, breakfast, shower, e-mail. Around 10:20 I left for the thrift shop. Of course I had just missed the bus, so I walked. It was cold, but not so cold that walking wouldn't heat me up. When I got to the thrift shop I was greeted by a pile of books, videos, DVD's, copmuter games, and magazines. I processed them all. Then we had to price some stacks of blank CD's and DVD's. Well, the first two stacks were fine, I think. But the third stack had several different kinds and some didn't look quite new. So I priced the ones that did, and took the rest home to test out. Then one of the Korean volunteers asked me to go to the bank with her and wire some money to her son. She had the cash, just didn't have a military ID or bank account. Then I went to the ACS building to check on our expiring status as a group. I was told I didn't have to do anything until May. I also pickedup a copy of the paper with my picture in it. I wasn't that far from Chris' office, so I walked down there to see if my box had come. Yes. But it was too heavy to carry far so I had to walk back to gate 37 to get the car. Along the way I met Cathy and she gave me a ride. When I came back for the box, I opened it and showed the kimonos to Yuna. I wanted to show them to Mrs. Yi, but she was on the phone. I drove then to the theatre only to find out that the movie starts at 7, not 5. So I went to the commissary, bought raisins, then proceded to the gas station. The car was very low on gas, which was why I didn't drive it in the first place. I had an embarassing moment at the gas pump when I couldn't find a way to open the gas cover. I checked all around the dashboard, the door and the glove box. There was no owner's manual either. In desperation I had to ask the man at the next pump and he knew where it was hidden. Relief! With my full tank of gas I drove back to the gate, parked and walked home. I put some things away and cleared out more e-mail, and ate supper. About 6:30 I walked back through the gate, picked up the car and went to the theatre. I saw a friend there, so I sat with her. The movie made fun of psychic research in the army, so it was kind of comedic. "Men who Stare at Goats" Afterwards we talked and she and Leslie invited me to tap dance class on Friday mornings. Hmm. I drove home. Luckily the guard was watching and let my car in. The clicker is in the other car. I hung up the kimonos, and put the dirty clothes in the laundry. I answered some e-mails, then had to restart my computer because of the Winsock Provider error. I sure wish I knew why that keeps happening. I also got out some liver to thaw for tomorrow since I finished the ground bison for supper.


**Wednesday, Jan. 20th**
The wake-up call came at 7:30am but we stayed in bed for a few extra winks. By the time we got up and showered, it was 8. We called room service for breakfast since we had a $10 off coupon. I got 3 soft-boiled eggs and J got a Belgian waffle. When breakfast arrived, my three eggs were accompanied by 2 pieces of toast and a mound of fried potatoes. I had to peel the eggs, but at least I knew nothing had been added to them. I ate one piece of toast for a few carbs. After breakfast we talked until it was time to meet Ann at the bank. (We had met her yesterday and she offered to take us to the fabric market) C and A weren't there when we arrived, so I went upstairs to get them. They weren't quite ready and I was embarassed because Ann was in a hurry. We had to rush to keep up with her as she led us through the subway, a change of trains, and then Nappori.
It seemed like a bit of a hike then, but it was worth it. There were fabric shops galore. She left us on the 4th floor of the Tomato building. A and I went to the 5th floor where we found quilt fabrics, many American, at stateside prices. But they had a good-sized discount section and we got a yard each of several. We tried to find the others then, but had no luck. So we went to the discount store on the corner. They had the most lovely Asian prints for 315 to 485 yen a meter. WE loaded up, holding back a little because our yen was running short and they don't take credit cards. I guess American Express ISN'T everywhere I want to be. I had a yen for fabric, but that wasn't the kind of yen they wanted. Ha, ha. J did offer to lend me some if I ran out. The fabric was already cut into 1/4, 1/2, 1, and 2 meter pieces. Some packets we bought, agreeing to split later. We hit another store after that, then headed for the subway fully loaded. After we made it back to the hotel, I went to the Nx (like the Px, only for the Navy) to get postcards and peanuts. I wanted a bathing suit too so I could use the pool, but no luck there. So J and I went to the internet room. I used the rest of yesterday's dollar to send an e-mail to Chris and post briefly on Facebook. We hit the gift shop, then we went back to the room and ate some nuts. After awhile the phone rang. It was A and C.
They wanted supper. So after some discussion we went back to the Japanese restaurant in the hotel. I suggested we sit at the grill for a change. Well, the others all ordered Tempura again, so I got a more expensive grilled dish to justify sitting at the grill. Shrimp. The chef didn't put on a show as he prepared it, but he was watching me as I ate it, so I put on one for him. But it really was good. I also learned that you can't pick your teeth with chopsticks.
After supper we went to A and C's room to compare and split fabrics. Oh what fun that was! J regaled us with stories from her younger years. We laughed so hard. Finally at 9 (it felt like 11) we went to our own room. J and I talked some more, then she read while I wrote. We turned down the temperature to 65 (as low as it would go). That made the room more comfortable for sleeping but the sheets were still loud and crackly.

No comments: