Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Grand Opening of the longarm


It was so nice not to have to go anywhere this morning. The sun shone brightly on the snow, but it remained frozen to the 'teens. I spent some time in my sewing room preparing for Thursday's class - cutting batting and backing squares, making a sample, etc. Then lunch and it was time to meet Pam at the gate. Actually it wasn't. I arrived an hour early, and had to go home and come back a little later. I was more warmly dressed the second time- two scarves! One for my head and one for my face. Pam ran into traffic, so I was well on my way when she drove up. We went to the AnC center to find that it was full of people: official people, quilting people, and people with cameras - even one from AFN! A beautiful twisty set of ribbons was waiting to be cut ( a shame, really) and a table of fruit and meats. There was a quilt on the longarm and I brought one to show to Cathy, which turned out to be featured with all the others in the room. Anyway, five of us got to cut the ribbon at the same time and there was much picture-taking by everyone. The AFN man interviewed me at length about the activities of the quilt group. That was exciting! The garrison commander gave a speech and the chaplain said a blessing and prayer. We ate and talked and finally it was over. Pam drove me all of the way home because it was so cold. I started to make another pillowcase and then Chris came home. We talked while he made supper: about his job choices now the the job he thought he had (or was about to get) failed to get official endorsement. His best career choice now would be to go to Afganistan (without me, and leaving Michele here). That would be a promotion. Or we could stay here (no promotion), or go to Camp Humphreys which is south of here (lateral move, better than staying here). Well, God just closed a door, so I am waiting to see if any windows open (one in Hawaii would be nice!)

No comments: