Saturday, January 23, 2010

A nice day at home - more to come

I slept on the couch in the computer room last night so that I could listen to a neuroprogramming session. It helped me go to sleep. The daylight coming in the window woke me around 8. I planned on going to the Chosun, but due to the cold and the fact that there was nothing I HAD to do there, I stayed home. I cleared out more e-mail, although there are still about 30 left. I checked a stack of charm squares against the collection I already have (800). That took awhile. I looked through my Japan fabric to see if I could part with any of it (because one of our members wants to buy some). I listened to some audio files while hand-sewing. I got it almost finished! I turned on the tree lights when it got dark. I think tomorrow after church I am going to hang some of my new fabric on the walls for color. Tuesday, January 19th ** I kept waking throughout the night. The room was hot and the sheets were loud. Maybe they were starched, but any movement was broadcast. AT 7am the phone rang, it was our wake-up call. J showered and went to check her e-mail in the internet room. I showered and dressed. When she came back, we knocked on C and A's door for breakfast, but discovered we were half an hour early. So we went for a walk. Turning left from the hotel we followed the street, and turned into an alley where we saw a cemetary. Farther down the street we noticed what looked like a monastery. WE noticed how clean the streets and sidewalks were and how quiet the traffic was. Women wore sensible shoes, not the spiky heels I see here. We got back just in time for breakfast. We went to the same restaurant and had the buffet. For me, fruit, ham, sausage, eggs, yogurt and oatmeal. We met two women in the lobby who were also going to the quilt show., so we brought them along. We entered the subway, bought our tickets from a machine, took two subway trains, and then came above ground right at the Tokyo Dome. There was a BIG roller coaster and Ferris wheel nearby. We already had quilt show tickets printed from an on-line purchase, so we were able to get right in. We had been advised to see the vendors forst, but couldn't help seeing a few quilts along the way. ACtually it took a while for the place to fill up. At the vendor booths we saw the traditional beige and taupe fabrics that the Japanese produce. Quite dull, if you ask me. We also saw the blue and white fabrics they use for sashiko. And a machine that stitches sashiko! But they weren't my thing, either. My first purchase was 2 Hawaiian fabrics. Then we came upon a dealer selling used kimonos for $11. Well, not thinking that there might be other dealers, I bought two, neither one quite what I had in mind. But at the next place I found the perfect one. Of course, it was more expensive. Finally we found a stand selling Asian prints on cotton for 5000 yen a meter. I bought 9 different ones. Then we found stadium seating for lunch.

No comments: