Friday, May 13, 2011

Long Day

I woke up this morning to the sound of Chris taking a shower. Since the bread wasn't ready last night, I got up to make him a sandwich, and then went back to bed. I was in a bad mood 'cause my day was full of commitments to other people/groups and there was no time for myself. I did some tapping on it. But I had to get up a short time later to get ready for second grade. Usually I do that on Wednesday, but it got changed to Thursday because of a field trip. My job this morning was to explain and have them practice division using frogs and logs. Plastic ones, of course. Each log can hold 10 frogs. They seemed to enjoy it.
Then I drove to the little park to sit and read for an hour 'till it was time to go to the thrift shop. At the thrift shop there was a mountain of clothing to be priced. Thankfully that is NOT my job. There were plenty of books, DVD's, videos, etc and I was happy to work just on that. MaryAnn came in for a little while and we chatted in the bookroom while I shelved and she pulled old books to be discarded. Somebody dropped off boxloads of Danielle Steele books, in hardback. MaryAnn had to discard a lot to make room for them. She left the old books in a box on the floor. I took the military ones and put them in the dumpster instead of charity. But later when the charity guy came, I think he checked the dumpster for stuff he could use at the men's home that he collects for. Probably took the books. Oh well.
I was expecting my student for a lesson, so I signed out at 2:30 and waited outside for her to get out of school. 15 minutes later I was getting worried. Then Mrs. Chung came out to tell me a man had called the thrift shop looking for me. She thought it was my husband. But it was the father. He said she was sick and wouldn't be coming today. So I went home, not at all disappointed. I worked on making one of the casserole covers that I intended for class tonight. I also had lunch which stretched into supper when I boiled a pot of leeks and ate them. Pretty good actually. But what do I do with the green parts?
Chris came home and we all chatted for awhile, then I went to post for class. Shannon (10 yrs old?) saw me in the parking lot and offered to help me set up. I was glad for the help. Ruth Ann was there too, and she helped. More people came than I expected and they were unprepared for class. The project uses two quilted placemats, but guess what? The Px doesn't sell them. So the fabric I bought was all they had to use. Not that I cared, but there wasn't enough pre-quilted fabric for everyone. Shannon brought a friend, maybe a little younger. I convinced them to both work on the same project. Her friend turned out to be good at sewing when shown how. Much more careful and serious than Shannon. When class was over, I went home in Chris' car. There was a box of beer in the front seat. So I called him to come get it. Then I noticed a text from Julia. Her job is being terminated early for downsizing. So I called her to commiserate for a while. Then I got on my computer to eliminate junk e-mail, and respond to friends. Now I just want to go to bed.

No comments: