Sunday, May 1, 2011

Baby Shower

We were both so tired that we slept in this morning. We did make it to church on time. The sermon was about doubting Thomas. After church, Chris helped another man count the offering, while I drove three of the choir members to the DHL. I went back for Chris. We parked at the DHL and went to the Naja ballroom where the baby shower was. The church had paid for 50 people, so we were all invited to join in the hotel's Sunday brunch, already in progress. The food was good and there was quite a selection, even for a picky eater like me. After we ate, the mother-to-be opened her gifts, starting with mine. Shinza, who was acting as hotess, asked me to come up and explain the quilt. I had just taken a large bite of sushi, and wasn't sure what kind of explanation she had in mind. So I went up slowly, chewing and thinking quickly. I said something about not knowing what colors Koreans use for their babies, and I hoped she liked these. She is having a girl, btw.
We then went by the commissary for groceries, which we took home, and Michele put away while we changed clothes. I cleared my e-mail, and tried embroidering the design. It was not good at all. So I re-digitized it. And tried the embroidering part again. This time it was great. Except for the bobbin thread showing on the black satin stitch. But not to worry, I colored it in with a black pen. The stabilizer I used has a water-activated sheen on it. So I hooped it and stuck my fabric to it. So to get the extra stabilizer off, I had to wet it. ARRGH! The ink ran. I tried rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, spray-n-wash, and ammonia. Nothing worked. Finally I used the Chlorox clean-up. It took out the ink and some of the color in the thread, but hey, its passable. Then while it dried, I constructed the flying geese units to go around it. Now I am auditioning corner blocks. Do you like the trees, or should I use the same fabric that is in the center?

2 comments:

Crissie said...

Fern.... I think it looks GREAT!

Crissie
Martinez, CA.

Fern said...

Thank you. Are you talking about the quilt or the block?