Monday, July 25, 2011

First full day


After posting to my blog, I realized that everyone but Michele had gone to bed. I wasn't sure what to do with Alfred's computer. So I unplugged it because of the storm. I took a shower and noticed that the drain was clogged. Then I went to bed.
I awoke early, before daylight. I heard the garbage truck make it's rounds. I lay in bed until I could see around the room. I got dressed and went out to the beach. It was 6 am. I stood near the surf, staring at the bright spot in the clouds, waiting for the sun to rise above them. I did this for over half an hour. Then I went inside. I got back on Alfred's computerto clear out e-mail. I made my breakfast and ate it. Olivia was the first person to come out to the livingroom. Soon William came, and then Cecily. After everyone had breakfast, Cecily and Becca and the kids went to the beach while Alfred, James and I went shopping. Our first stop was the Bru-Thru for beer. Then we went to Harris Teeter where we got most of the things on our lists. Finally we found clothespins at Rite-Aid. We took the groceries home and put them away. The others were back from the beach by then having lunch. So we sat down and had lunch, too. I hard-boiled 8 eggs, and inadvertently left them sitting by the stove while I went to the pool. I took a run across the hot sands to the surf. The water was cold, but not as bad as yesterday. However there were jellyfish hearts all over the beach and in the surf. I went back to the pool. When I was done sunning and surfing, I went to my room and did a few Sudoku puzzles. The light wasn't good, so I went into the livingroom to finish. Cecily was there obsessing over the week's menus with Becca. They were making a new grocery list for tomorrow. I sat outside for a while to warm up. I could smell the pork loin that Becca was barbequing on a little charcoal grill. I could also hear the ice cream machine whining louder and louder as its contents froze. Soon we were sitting down to eat. Michele had a headache and retired as soon as she finished eating. The pork loin was spicy but good. We had sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, peas, and apple rings to go with it. We cleaned up the dishes and went to the beach. I did not make it there because I had a Kodak moment when I saw the tiny grill. The coals were still glowing. I ended up sitting there and tapping for some time. The others returned and went inside. When it began to get dark, I followed. The kids were put to bed, and then Becca called up a movie on Netflix using Michele's computer. So Alfred lent me his to write my blog. Someone set off fireworks on the beach. I ran out to see them, using the downstairs door because the upstairs sliding glass doors were covered with bugs. Michele and I think they look like moths, but Cecily is convinced that they are mosquitoes.

No comments: