Sunday, July 24, 2011

Going to the Beach

After blogging on Michele's computer this morning, I prepared breakfast. Cecily was running around trying to get everything on her list. We were trying to help and/or stay out of her way. By 9 everything was packed in three cars. We all hugged Mimi goodbye, and headed out. Each car had a walkie-talkie, and Alfred and I soon discovered that ours didn't work. Around 10:30 we stopped for lunch at a fast-food restaurant. I got a grilled chicken salad. Trying out our walkie-talkie with Michele's , we determined that the others can hear us even though we cannot hear them. Our next stop was the toll booth. The other two cars drove through with Easy-Passes, but we had to stop and pay $6. Then they were ahead of us, so they stopped at a rest area and we joined them there. However, leaving the rest area, we got separated. James called us using the On-Star number. We all agreed to meet at the realty office. We were so far ahead that even though we had trouble finding the place, we still got there ahead of the others. Cecily picked up the key, and we drove to the beach house. Everyone helped to unpack the cars. Michele passed out towels, while Cecily put things away in the kitchen. I put sheets on my bed, and unpacked my clothes into the bureau. When we were all ready, we went to the pool. I put sunscreen on, and walked to the beach, or tried to. The sand was burning hot, so I went back for shoes. Then I made it to the surf, only to find that it was ARTIC! My first clue was seeing lots of people on the beach, but only a few in the water. So the pool became the best destination. I swam with the kids, and sat in the sun. But soon it was too much. I went in. When I heard the kids come in, I went down to the sand by the pool and sat barefoot. I did a little tapping, too. Then I came in to read. That seemed to last for hours so I quit to check on supper. It was not ready yet. The temp in the kitchen/eating area was frigid, but no one seemed to notice. I put on a wrap. When supper was ready, we sat down to eat. William wanted to go to the pool, and Olivia wanted to go to the beach. They had a hard time waiting for us adults to finish eating and clear the table. By then it was getting dark. James took William to the pool. Alfred,Cecily, Becca and I took Olivia down to the beach. The sand had cooled considerably, but the surf was still freezing. We watched lightning in the distance, and came in when it got close. Becca sat on the porch to watch the storm. Alfred offered me his computer, so I took the chance to write a blog post. Now that others are chatting about logistics while I type.

No comments: