Saturday, June 22, 2024

Bugs for Sale

Friday

I got up late, not having slept well. My hand was completely numb and even when the circulation came back, it did not feel normal. I wondered if real damage had been done. After the usual, I read e-mail for awhile. Then I got dressed and went out to water the plants. I turned the back hose on and let it drip on the peas. Then I went to House #2 to check what Jamie did. All I saw was a length of hose that was too short, and it ended at the lilac tree. So I went home for my damaged soaker hose. I attached it to her hose and wrapped it around the apple tree. Then I turned the water on and left it.

I went to the garden and watered. I checked the traps but there were no mice. I added a gallon of 'fertilizer' to the plants. I noted that something was snacking on the largest pea plant. I put a gopher stake near it.

I went home and made breakfast. Chris came back from the office. When I finished eating and making a grocery list, we got in the car and went to Tooele, starting a new book on CD. It wasn't interesting because it had a lot of political play in it.

We shopped at the usual places, plus Joanns and Cal Ranch. At Joanns I got thin fleece but what I wanted was felt. There was no one to cut and only one person at checkout so I grabbed something from the remnant pile. Then Cal Ranch had plants for 40% off. They didn't look great, but good enough. I bought peas and tomatoes. I also got a nozzle. They had containers of lady bugs, but I resisted.

When we got back, we stopped at the commissary for a few last things that are cheaper there. Then we took our food home and put it away. I read for a bit, then put the plants in my car.

I went to House #2 to turn the water off and Jamie was there, trying to add a timer to the line. We worked together and got it set up to water automatically every morning at 5. Then we moved the hose to the pear tree. She said she had a splitter so we can water both at once.

Then I went to the garden. I planted the tomatoes with gelatin and cinnamon and fertilizer. I watered everything. I checked my timer and realized that the 2 stood for 'days' not 2x/day. No wonder everything is dry. I set it for 12 hours. I noted that the two corn plants doing well, are the ones with dead mice under them.

I went home. Chris had cooked mushrooms and a sweet potato. I also made a carrot salad to go with it. I worked on my blog. I set up the sprinkler to water the parts that the automatic sprinklers miss. I planted the rest of the peas in among the flower beds and two big planters. I made tea for tonight.

I took a jar of cheese and went to Game night. Casey put the cheese up for Michelle. Then he went to his garden while I got started on the game. I had enough notes to keep me busy all night. Casey came back. I came to stopping places on three worlds by 11pm. I thanked him and went home. Chris was already fast asleep when I got home. I prepared for bed, then climbed in the recliner to listen to something guaranteed to put me to sleep. I did doze off and woke up at the end of a sleep cycle. Then I went to bed.

No comments: