Friday, January 23, 2009

CHUP_DA means 'cold'

This morning Michele and I went to the hospital to get our last round of vaccinations. We had to wait a while but it wasn't too bad. However I learned that I am only 14 months old. My dob is listed as 2007. And my last name is spelled Damourm. And my husband is not listed in some database the army uses. And the only way to correct any of this is to appear WITH my husband at the place where we in-processed. Don't hold your breath.
Tina and I had planned to go ice skating afterwards, but it was too cold. Yes, too cold for ice skating. So we decided to go to Dongdaemun instead and shop for fabric indoors. Well, to get there we bundled up. I wore two coats, two pairs of socks, two scarves and THREE pairs of gloves. At Dongdaemun we were soon much too warm inside, but I bought fleece to make a hat and two pairs of leggings to wear under pants. I also want to make a face mask like the Koreans wear. Tina got me one, but Michele has it. If it were black, she'd resemble Darth Vader. Tina bought several things and then we got into trouble. You would think that being able to read some Korean would be a good thing. But we were pressed for time. Then I spotted a sign in Korean that said 1 yard is 1000 won. Basically a dollar a yard. So of course we had to stop and go through the entire pile. Tina had been looking all day for flanned-backed denim. Nobody had it. But there was a piece in that pile! We left happy. But then we were back in the cold, then into the warm subway. But coming out at our destination, it was colder still. We had to wait for Tina's husband to pick us up. We were cold inspite of all our layers. Tina's husband dropped me off at our gate around 6:20. Michele and I were supposed to leave at 6:30 for our Korean lesson. So I ran home, downed two sausages in record time (forgot to eat lunch) and ran back out. Chris came with us to drive, but instead of attending the lesson, he went back to the office until we were done. The coffee shop we have our lesson in is a 10 to 15 minute walk in the freezing cold. My three pairs of gloves were not enough to keep my hands warm. Michele was cold, too. I hadn't done the homework because we got back so late, but Michele did hers in the car. We arrived ahead of our teacher so I worked on mine until she came. The lesson was interesting and all too soon it was time to go back out into the cold. I was so glad to find Chris waiting and to go home. The lunar new year starts tomorrow and we have been advised to stay off the streets due to traffic congestion. Also, many Korean places will be closed. The holiday is five days long. Staying home where it is warm sounds like heaven to me.

No comments: