Thursday, January 22, 2009

Midnight market? Midnight madness.

Thursday started off ordinarily enough. I volunteered at the thrift shop. But at 11 Andrea stopped by to take me to lunch. We also took her husband and two Katusa's. She and her husband want the manager of a Mexican restaurant to cater the next boyscout event. So we went there for lunch and brought the Katusas to translate. It was a good Mexican meal, but comparatively expensive to Mexican food in the U.S.
After lunch Andrea and I went to the middle school to check out the cafeteria for quilting purposes. Then I went to Tina's house for a visit. She hadn't been out in a while and decided to go to the midnight market. According to her sources it starts around 9. She dropped me by my apartment to get more layers. Then, we were there by 8 and, after being a relatively warm day (forties) it got cold. I was wearing two coats, two scarves, two pairs of gloves and two pairs of socks. I was still cold. Let me tell you the place was jamming. Loud music, college kids crowded around a stage where a dance group was performing, and rain. But where was the great shopping? I bought a pair of boots in the subway. We didn't buy anything else for hours. (I related to Tina how I had found our apartment unlocked and dark. Chris came home soon after and I asked "Where have you guys been?" He replied, "What do you mean, isn't Michele here?" I nearly had a heart attack, but he found her asleep in her bed. Tina said it was interesting how we had no concern for the fact that we were frequently lost in the fifth largest city in the world, and this time at night, but the mere thought that our child was not home when expected inspired a panic attack.) We wandered in search of a place to eat. We uttered phrases I never thought I'd say, like "Lets buy food from the street people" and "How about eating in an alley?" Finally we sat in a small tent that served food. We had kimbap, jopchai, kimchi and soup. After that, Tina spent over 30,000 won just like that! Then we passed a Korean snack place. We each bought some snacks, then headed for the subway. It was almost 11. It seemed to take forever to get back to the Samgakji station and find our way back to Gate 1. Tina drove me home and I nearly fell asleep in a chair before getting on-line to write this before I forget. We have NO plans to go shopping at night again.

No comments: