Thursday, January 15, 2009

....And then there were none.



...What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in...
This morning I made a saucer to go with my teacup. Since I expected to go to the quilting night at Adele's, I packed my unfinished project along with the materials needed to finish it. First, I went to the thrift shop to volunteer. But I missed the bus, had to walk and was late. There I found a VCR for $10 and the movies were 6/$1, so for $11 I can now watch 6 movies.
Carrying it with me I proceeded to the ACS building where there was a ceremony honoring selected volunteers. Afterwards they cut a cake in their honor. Right after the cake table was a table full of Subway sandwiches, cut veggies, kimbap, fruit and tea. So dessert and then lunch. The lady that asked me to teach at the Culture Center downtown came and handed me an envelop. I did not open it at that time. She asked me to teach an English class one night a week. I told her it was illegal for me to work in Korea. She replied that she would call me and let me know which night. It was surreal. Tina was at the luncheon and she and MaryAnn and I went to the Dragon Hill where Michele was having lunch to remind her to baby sit Tina's son after school. Then we drove to Gate 17 and boarded a subway train for Osan.
Well, several trains actually. We had to change trains once. Then while riding the next train, I noticed fewer and fewer people. Finally the train slowed down and stopped and there was no one on it except for us. Oops. What happened? We were stuck in the middle of a trainyard. Then the cleaning crew came through. They left. Then the conductor left. Then a new conductor came through. We were able to communicate just enough to understand that we should get off at the next stop. The train started up again and went backwards. We got off at the next stop and looked around. There were the cleaning ladies motioning to us to join them in the elevator. Okay.... So upstairs in the station we walked and looked for signs. Then there were the cleaning ladies again, motioning to us to join them in another elevator going down. They pointed to the platform where a train had just stopped and they left. We got on that train, and PTL it was the right one. OSAN!
We took a taxi to a shopping area right outside the air base. I have to tell you it was COLD! We walked around freezing. We bought extra gloves to put on and extra socks, too. Double-gloved and double-socked I was still cold. The only other thing I bought was dark blue embroidered hanbok fabric. (See pic) Finally we walked onto the base. There everyone was in full battle gear with gas masks on. Yikes! But soon an announcement was made that it was an exercise. So we walked to the Bx and had a bite to eat. Then clang, clang, the doors came down on the Bx. They closed it early because of the exercise! So, taxi back to the train station and ride home. All was well on the return trip. We got back to Tina's car, and drove MaryAnn to her gate. We got lost trying to get back to South Post due to the one-way lane. When we finally got back to Tina's house it was after 9. That's when I remembered the quilting night that Pam was going to pick me up for. Poor Pam. Michele had left her phone at home and I had given her mine which she put on vibrate. So she never heard the phone ring. Oh well, I called Pam to explain and I think she has forgiven me. What a day of adventure! We laughed so hard at ourselves for getting lost, ending up in a train yard, trading socks, missing the Bx shopping experience, etc. We'll have to do it again sometime.

2 comments:

Gwenda said...

The cup and saucer are made from material?

Fern said...

Yes, isn't that cool?