Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Transportation Class

This morning I went to a class on using the subway, bus and rail system here in seoul.
I have had all kinds of experiences with the subway already, but figured a little formal instruction couldn't hurt. That and Chris wanted me to go. So I went.
The class started at 9 and I was there by 8:30. But soon others came and we chatted until 9. There were supposed to be 14 people, but only 6 other people showed up. First we watched some slides, and there were handouts, maps and such. Then we all walked to Noksapyong station. She explained all the clues to be found here and there about where we were, where the trains go, and what was near each exit of the subway. Then we rode the train to Samgakji where we transferred to the blue line and traveled to Namdemun. It is a shopping mecca. However, we stopped at a restaurant to eat, then walked through the market streets to another subway exit. We did not stop to shop because we had to be back by two. We the class decided to exchange phone numbers and meet to shop one day. Many of them live in Park Towers. The gates near the towers were closed today due to Korean protesters. They were upset because 7 or 8 people died in a fire that the Korean fire company didn't respond to in a timely manner. On Tuesday the riot police shot five of them. They were back protesting today. I feel sorry for the people who live near there.
From the class I walked to the library, and then to the Four Seasons, at which I bought sandpaper, chair feet, a ratcheting screwdriver, and a small flashlight. Then I walked to Chris' office and read a magazine until he was finished with work. He drove us to the thrift shop where he bought a coat and I got 6 more movies.
We came home, had leftovers for supper, and then I covered the back of another chair. Maybe tomorrow I will have the opportunity to do the seat. Then I will have 2 matching chairs.

2 comments:

Gwenda said...

Can't wait to see all the chairs when they're done! What a job that must be!

Fern said...

Yes! The chair seat would be easier if I didn't have to center the design. The chair back would be easier if I could staple it instead of handsewing it.