Monday, January 12, 2009

Hurray for nurses!

It seems Michele had not recovered from yesterday's illness. She couldn't eat breakfast and even water would not stay down. I didn't know what to do. She had no other symptoms, but I was afraid that she would dehydrate before she could fight off whatever it is. So, she and I met Pam at the gate and I asked Pam to drive us to the on-post hospital, instead of the quilt meeting as scheduled. There, I told the receptionist our problem and she said Michele had to in-process before she could get her an appointment. During the in-processing, the lady asked if Michele wanted to be an organ donor. I didn't think she was that sick. Goodness, what a question.
Anyway, there were no appointments to be had and the emergency room was full. So I asked if I could just get some advice. The receptionist took me down the hall, and stopped a male nurse. He said to give her popsicles and Pepto Bismol or Tums. It was good advice. Pam took us to the shoppette, since the commissary is closed on Mondays. We got popsicles and Tums and that allowed her to hydrate and keep it down. Actually seeing a doctor wouldn't have been any better, probably the same advice and this was free! She hasn't eaten anything since then, but she slept a lot and drank quite a bit of water. I think she will do just fine.

No comments: