Sunday, May 17, 2009

AWC award


We overslept this morning and missed church. So I went to my sewing room to get started on the outfit I wanted to wear to the award ceremony at 2. Since there were other projects on my sewing table I had to sort through them and got a little distracted. It was almost 1pm when Chris came in to see what I was doing. I told him I was working on my outfit for that afternoon and he couldn't believe it. Actually all I had to make was a freestanding cowl. Sadly, it was not enough to divert attention from the skirt which just isn't right somehow. So I wore the red outfit instead.
The event was held in the ballroom of the DHL. We stood outside the ballroom talking and snacking until they let us in around 2:30. The awardees (like Michele) had assigned seating. There were lots of introductions, etc, before they called each one up to get their envelope and have a picture taken with the general and his wife. That was when I discovered that my camera was still at home. Michele recieved a ceremonial coin and 2 envelopes, totaling $475 for college. Considering they gave away $38,000 and there were less than 38 awardees, somebody made out like a bandit. Maryann's son got the same amount Michele did. The awardees all gathered around the general to have their picture taken again, and he cut the cake with his ceremonial sword. (I hope he washed it just before that). Then there was more eating and talking in the hallway. I would have been happy to sit down since my feet went numb standing there. Mostly I talked to Maryanne and Beth Anne (who wants to have a quilter's party at her house in June). Then we went home, stopping at the commissary for a few necessities. I went to my sewing room to sew some blocks together for tomorrow. The luncheon theme is "Queen for a Day" and the quilt group has decided to all show up wearing quilt tops. While I was laying out blocks, Andrea came over. She is PSCing tomorrow and she cleaned out her cupboards and gave us all sorts of stuff, frozen, canned and boxed. We talked for a long time, but finally she had to go. We parted with a "See ya later" and I went back to my blocks. You can see her picture on a previous post.

No comments: