Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo



Today is the fifth of May, known in Korea as "Children's Day". There was no school off-post, and parents traditionally take their kids places and buy them treats. I planned to stop by the post office to mail a package, then proceed to the thrift shop which is in the same area. But the post office was closed. For Children's Day. Peeved that the package I lugged to post would follow me all day for no reason, I went to the thrift shop and put in about 4 hours. Hardly anyone showed towork, so it was kinda nice. Then Tina suggested we get our hair done. So I met her by the high school and we walked to the beauty shop near the Px. On the way we discovered that the main post office was open so I did get to mail my package after all. My hairdresser wasn't busy so I got right in, but Tina's was busy so she went to the Px for awhile. I got a lovely cut and then the manager suggested a manicure. I declined because my hands look fine to me. But a pedicure was in order. So I got one. First I got to soak my feet in a hot bubbly bath. Then she sanded my soles and toes. She also massaged my feet, ankles, and calves. Finally she gave me a shoulder massage. It was wonderful, and all for $17. By then, Tina was having her hair done. So I went to the Px to find organic cotton balls and she met me there when she was done. They do not have organic cotton balls, but I got some other things which I cannot divulge because of my readership. Then I met Chris at his office at 5 to go to dinner. Michele was late because she thought we were meeting at 6. Just before we left, I stopped by the restroom. I caught sight of myself in the mirror and just had to take a picture. Now how often does one look in the mirror and have a Kodak moment? Then we drove away, picked up Michele, and parked by Gate 17. We took the subway to Jondak, where we met the friend of a friend who is visiting Korea for medical treatment. The restaurant we had planned to eat at was out of food (Mexican restaurant - Cinco de Mayo - who would have guessed?). So we wandered around until we decided on a purportedly German place with a brewery. Michele had the sausages, I got salad, Chris got fried rice, and our friend got a very spicy chicken. I tasted them all and was not impressed by any of it. It was just ok. Then we came back on the subway, back to our car, and back to the apartment. Then I sent our new friend an article about how using an organic cotton ball in your ear stimulates the immune system. Who knows, maybe it could help him.

2 comments:

Gwenda said...

Is this how short you usually get your hair cut? I'm thinking of going shorter with my own hair, although not as short as you.

Fern said...

For the summer, yes. It gets very hot and humid here. Even this will feel too long on a hot day.