Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chris' birthday


Today was Chris' birthday. To commemorate the occaison, I made his favorite cake - carrot with cream cheese frosting. But it took far longer than I thought. First I had to walk to the commissary to buy a few things and order Michele's cake for Sunday. Good thing I got the half sheet. She told us tonight that she invited 18 people. The store didn't sell grated carrots, but I figured I had a grater attachment to my mixer. Apparently not, but if you run it through the slicer enough times you get something between grated and chopped. Ok. Then, I needed the mixer bowl, which was full of egg salad in the fridge. MMM - lunch. Then when it was all ready to go in the bundt pan - no such pan. Ok 9x13 will do. Oh, but they are both in the fridge full of leftovers. Switch one to a Rubbermaid container. Now it's ready. Bake at 350F degrees. But the oven is in Celcius, so must derive the equation to change Fahrenheit to Celcuis. Ah, 176 C. While the cake bakes, I clean up and make the frosting. Carrot pieces everywhere.

The frosting recipe calls for 6 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. The box only holds four. Let's see here - the recipe makes enough to frost a four layer cake, so I'll cut each ingredient in half. Ah, still more than enough. OK, rest for a bit then wrap the presents.
When Chris came home, I suggested we have dessert first. Everyone was ok with that, so we ate cake first, and then leftovers. Then more cake. It was good, if a bit sweet. Chris opened his presents - Thai coffee and a tie clasp. I hope he doesn't get any Thai on his tie. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

2 comments:

Gwenda said...

I LOVE carrot cake! You certainly went to a lot of trouble to make yours! Do you add nuts? I never do, just the crushed pineapple and raisins.

Fern said...

Michele mentioned pineapple, too, but this recipe didn't call for it.