Sunday, May 24, 2009

A day with friends


We went to church, packing extra clothes for me and Michele. The sermon was about wars and feeling like part of the group. I didn't really get it so I was trying to imagine what kind of hair our bald minister used to have. There were very few people in church, so the fellowship time afterwards was short. I had agreed to meet some friends at Gate 5 at 12:15 and church let out at 11. So to pass the time and because Michele had shown an interest in Burger Kings ANGRY burger, we stopped in to try one. To an outsider it must have looked like we couldn't afford to buy each of us a meal. We took turns taking a bite out of the burger. It was ok, but not as spicy as the ad made it look. Then Chris dropped me off at Gate 5, and drove Michele to Blackhawk village where her friend was waiting to take her shopping. Chris made the weekly commissary run and went home. I waited at Gate 5 for while, then walked into Itaewon where my friends would be eventually. When they did show up, we walked to find a restaurant. We looked at many but settled on a Korean restaurant that Chris and I had been to. It seems the purpose of the trip was to show Janine's newly arrived friend around town. So she learned what a Korean meal is like. I had the abalone porrige, which was like a rice soup with seaweed on top. The others had the pork. One of the side dishes was half-crabs. They had a jelly-like substance inside them that you suck out.

After lunch we went to the Hamilton Hotel shopping area - five floors of jewelry, handbags, knicknacks, ties, clothing, kimchi chocolate (wasn't even interested), and such. I got Chris a birthday present there. I KNOW he reads my blog so I won't mention it yet. We did more window shopping on the way back to the beginning of Itaewon. Tina wanted to stop for icecream so we did - at McDonalds: home of the bulgogi burger. It was a good thing, because it then rained hard for a while. After that, we parted ways: they went back to post and I walked home. Chris had supper in the oven. I read e-mail, played my piano keyboard for a while (got an Elton John songbook at the thrift shop) and went back to my computer to find out how those songs are SUPPOSED to sound. LAter, after supper, Michele came back from her shopping trip with her friend. Said friend lent her a DVD so we watched it. I don't know the name of it and that's ok by me.

No comments: