Thursday, February 4, 2010

It was a good day for buying fabric


Instead of going to the thrift shop, I played hooky. At 8:15 I walked over to the commissary to get won out of the ATM. Then I met the other quilting ladies in the parking lot. Two had to cancel, so 7 of us climbed into Poncie's van and she drove us to Mr. Kang's warehouse. Took about an hour. As I expected, the warehouse was not heated and the temp was in the low 20's. I had my ski gloves on, as well as leggings, socks and pants, but I was cold! The only way to justify such suffering was to buy a lot of fabric, and we did. I spent about $100 on fabric for the group for the block exchange, and then another $100 for fabric for myself. We all bought a lot and Mr. Kang gave us a box of fabric for free. Unlike previous visits, he gave us yardage, not scraps. When we got back to post, we opened the box and each took some. The rest went to the SPC to be used for classes. I left my purchases there too because I didn't have the car to carry them home. Then I went home and discovered that Michele wasn't there. I was very surprized, but remembered that she is 18 so didn't get upset. I answered my e-mail and had lunch. Then I cut muslin sections for tonight's class. I printed out 10 copies of the instructions. I also packed extra fabric in case more than 10 ladies showed up. Finally I pieced a cover for the rice pad. I laid down for awhile, then got up just as my husband came home. He had forgotten to leave the car on post for me, so he put supper in the oven and drove the car back. I ate a little leftover ham, then packed up all my fabrics and headed out. At the SPC I discovered that all the tables had been moved to another part of the building. Star came early and helped me track them down and bring some back. We set up the room as people slowly began to arrive. I got everyone started, then Cathy came with Bethany. Her father brought in a machine he'd ordered from WalMart and Cathy set it up for her. As more people came in I had to run back to the storage room for more tools, machines, etc. CAthy saw my fabric purchases and wanted to know if she could buy some. So we carried it into the big room to cut it. Well, then other people saw it and they wanted to buy, too. And I was cutting group fabric for the block exchange. It got confusing and I felt selfish when someone would want to buy a fabric that I didn't want to sell. After all, I have plenty at home. So I did sell some halfyard cuts and kept the rest. Then it was time to pack up and head home. Strangely, the traffic on post was slow and it took me awhile to get home. Then I lugged all that fabric up the stairs to our 6th floor apartment. Phew! Chris turned in early, so I laid down with him until he fell asleep, then got up to finish my blog.

No comments: