Sunday, February 28, 2010

What to do with leafy greens


Thankfully we got up in time to get to church before it started. One couple brought their three young kids to be baptized. The kids were so eager that it was heart-warming. I was tempted to take pictures but resisted in case it was not appropriate. After the service, Nancy and I talked while Chris and Rick talked, for almost an hour. Then we went to the commissary. Along with the usual groceries I got a nice bunch of kale. I wanted to try a new recipe for the quilt meeting tomorrow. The recipe was on my computer but I kept getting side-tracked by e-mail. Around 4 Chris and Michele went to see a movie. I stayed home for some 'alone' time. I did some vaccuuming, exercising, and tapping. When they got back we had a beef and vegetable stew for supper. I finally had to google 'Kale Chips" to get the recipe. It is recommended that the kale be very dry, like from a salad spinner. Well, I didn't have one, so I put the kale in a colander and spun around. I only succeeded in getting making myself dizzy. So I shook it instead. When I got tired of the shaking, I spread half of the pieces out on a small cookie sheet and poured olive oil on them. I put them in the oven for 11 minutes, then took them out and sprinkled them with a little salt. They were crispy and actually tasty. Another recipe called for apple cider vinegar as well, so the second half got tossed with the vinegar and oil before baking. Those were even better. Hmmm, what other unsuspecting veggies might I use? I found some spinach in the fridge so in the oven it went. This time I also sprinkled some parmesan cheese over it. Although it wasn't as crisp, it was just as tasty.

1 comment:

Gwenda said...

Your leafy green recipes sound good! I eat a salad every day for lunch, consisting mostly of fresh spinach.