Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A great day for sewing


Wednesday is one of my unscheduled days, to be used for the things that just come up. Toniette and I planned on driving to Dongdaemun to exchange some fabric (yes, if you haven't washed or cut it, he will allow you to trade for an equal amount. Try that in the U.S.) But we had a snowstorm this morning. So we decided to go Friday instead. Michele left early for college in case traffic was bad, but apparently it wasn't. I did pack him a sandwich this morning. I did a cursory examination of my e-mail, then spent the rest of the day in my sewing room working on a 'quick and easy' piecing technique. Well, when you are as picky as I am, it isn't so quick. It involves stacking 12 fabrics, cutting them all at the same time, then changing the order of each cut stack, and sewing them back together. I didn't like some fabrics ending up next to each other, so I did some tweaking, and some got out of order. And I extended the pattern to make it bigger. BUT, the really frustrating thing was that somehow I left one fabric out and ended up with only 11 blocks! What can you do with 11 blocks? And since I cut up 17 1/2 inch squares from fat quarters, there wasn't much in the way of leftovers. I was so mad. But I fashioned a square from the leftover just to have a 12th block. Not too happy with it though.
Michele came home wearing a lab coat. She had to buy it for her chemistry class. She wasn't too happy about having to spend $10 for it. I thought it was a good deal.
I finished my quilt top after supper and went back to reading e-mail for a short while before posting to my blog.

No comments: