Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Korean American Friendship Award

Made the sandwich and went back to bed. Had a hard time getting up again until I remembered my seeds that had been soaking all night. I jumped out of bed to put them in the sprouting bag and hang them up. Then I had breakfast with e-mail, and showered. I made it to the thrift shop about 11, but had to stop to answer a call from the Arts and Crafts center. They wanted a pic of my contest entry as soon as possible. I promised to get it to them in the afternoon. There were a bunch of books, and even more videos at the thrift shop. I shelved the books and the videos but had to throw out some videos to make room. I intended to leave at 2, but got another phone call which kept me late. Then I dropped some stuff off with Cathy and went home. It took me half an hour to find an e-mail address for the AnC center to send them the pic. Apparently their site is down and the presentation is tomorrow afternoon. I wonder which one I will get. Anyway, I spent some time dealing with e-mail, then got dressed up in church attire. Chris picked me up at the gate and we went to the DHL to catch a taxi to the Hyatt Hotel. We were attending the Korean American Friendship Award Ceremony. What a lavish hotel! In the ballroom was a large ice sculpture of one of the four gates to the city. As people mingled, we wandered into the next room which was set for dinner. There must have been 60 round tables which seated 10. But our names were at the end of the center rectangular table. It seated 20 or 30 of the most important people. Chris and the other recipients were instructed on how to accept the award. At 6:45 we lined up on stage for picture taking with the four star general. All those flashbulbs were like popcorn, or small firecrackers. Is this what it is like to be famous? Then we sat down to listen to speeches in English and Korean. The awardees went up to accept their awards while their accomplishments were read. I tried to take pics, but they didn't turn out well. Chris was given a nice certificate and a solid gold disc on a ribbon - like in the olympics. Oh, and a bouquet of flowers. There were cameras everywhere, esp around the center table. You know how during presidential speeches they pan the audience in close-up, and sometimes catch someone yawning or rolling their eyes or something? Well, I was determined that it wouldn't be me, so I sat and smiled like it was painted on my face. Obama and the sinking of the Cheongnan ship were mentioned more than once. Finally we had a prayer, and food was brought in courses. Candles amongst the rose petals down the length of the table were lit. And wine was poured. Normally I wouldn't have any, but at three times during the night we were asked to toast, and I had to have a sip along with everyone else. When you sit at the head table, you do as the head table sitters do. There was musical entertainment after the meal, and then we went outside to catch a taxi. It didn't take long, either. We were dropped off at gate 10 (regular taxis cannot drive onto post) and walked to the DHL to get our car. When we got home, we related our adventures to Michele, and put the flowers in water. Chris showed his medal and went to bed.

No comments: