Thursday, January 13, 2011

Making rugs

I went to bed early last night, but didn't fall asleep for quite some time. I wondered if it was worth it, but I did get up before the alarm went off at 8, so I guess it was. I started sewing charm squares into strips. Then I had breakfast, and e-mail, and a shower. I grabbed some recyclables on my way out the door. After dropping them off, I went to post and drove to the thrift shop. The pile of books was overwhelming since I hadn't been there on Tuesday, and there were more in the bin outside. I talked one of the volunteers into coming to quilting. Then I shelved books as fast as I could. My daily dose of niacin kicked in and for an hour I was overly warm. No one seemed to notice that I turned orange. When I mentioned it to Jaon, she said I was radioactive. Ha. When the reaction subsided, it was a relief. I got all the book shelved that would fit in that room. And more magazines than would fit in the tub. Thankfully this time there was room to put out more DVD's. We had also sold a ton of videos, but had very few to put out. At 2:30 I signed out. Jade came by and we went to my place. She brought some dried noodle thing for snack. I made my own lunch and then got some oranges. I offered her one and she accepted. I thought she would finish the purse she started back in December, but she has completely lost interest. Instead she wanted to make a king-size quilt for her mom and dad for their birthdays. Since she didn't bring any fabric, we worked on designing the quilt on graph paper. She doesn't want to go fabric shopping 'cause then her parents might find out what she is making. So she intends to use some Hawaiian print she already has. Also she thought she could buy whatever she wanted out of my stash. I guess it does look like a store, but no. Her father came early and wanted to wait for the end of her lesson. So we had to whisper. Then she broke out 'cause of the orange. She knew, so why didn't she say something? Apparently she'd had other oranges earlier today. After she left, I sat at my computer reading e-mail and eating frozen fruit. I had to follow that up with a hot cup of tea. Then Chris came home and it was time for me to leave. I stalled because I was warm and it was cold out. But I left about 6. When I got to the SPC, the parking lot was full. They were having a funeral. Other people were waiting in our room, so that put me even further behind in setting up. Everyone who signed up for the class came, and two who didn't. Thankfully I had cut three extra backings. I couldn't get everyone's attention at one time, so I explained the process several times. I put out all the scraps I brought, and it was enough for one night, but they took scraps home and will need more next week. Apparently not everyone has scraps at home. I have so many that even my scraps have scraps. Cathy came by, but not for long. She gave me money to buy her fabric in Japan. So the other ladies wondered why I hadn't offered to buy them fabric in Japan. I told them I hadn't offered to buy fabric in Japan for ANYBODY. But I took her money anyway and agreed to do it. Before we left, one lady bought two rulers from me and a rotary cutter. She also wanted a mat, but they haven't come in yet. The ladies packed up in record time, and we were out. I drove home and parked in spot #2. Spot one was also open, so parking was easy. When I got to the apt, I spent the rest of the evening on the computer and am looking forward to going to bed a little early again tonight.
* This is Melanie's quilt. She brought it to work on the binding. *

No comments: