Saturday, April 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Robin

Chris was up and on his computer by half past 8. And Michele was there, too. So I got up, took a shower, dressed, ate breakfast, and skimmed my e-mail. I spent considerable time looking for two sheets of paper that I know I have seen recently. Since they were printouts, I also scoured each computer looking for the original file. But no dice. I put some laundry in the washer so I would have a clean pair of black pants to wear to the party. I asked Chris to get out my embroidery machine so I can test my design. But when the machine told me it would take 23 minutes to stitch out, I decided to do that later. I ate some lunch, then at 1, headed for the subway. I took the jungang line to Ichon, and then the blue line to Sungshin. Miraculously, it was 1:45, just the time Helen said she would meet me there. We walked out exit 6 to the bus stop and took bus 162 to Jeongnung market. There we followed directions to Robin's place. She was giving herself a 60th birthday party. There were two young women preparing food in the kitchen. There was a food table and another one with a cake on it. That is where the presents went. While I conversed with a woman who couldn't make the presentation last Saturday, Helen got massaged. What a wonderful idea for a party! As guests came in, they signed up for massages. I had a thirty minute massage for 15,000 won! When almost everyone had arrived, we sang Happy Birthday, and Robin opened her presents. Then we ate buffet style. One young woman (who is renting a room with Robin) came up with a party game: she asked us 20 m/c questions about Robin and gave a prize to the person who got the most answers right. And she let each person pick a number out of a hat. She had a box of numbered books, and each person is supposed to read the corresponding book and pass it on to another one in the group. Mine is called "French women don't get fat". Later Robin picked up her guitar and played while singing us a song which was not familiar to me. After most people had left, Robin asked me to do another presentation, this time in August. Although it did not rain on my way over there, it rained quite hard during the party. So she lent me an umbrella for the trip home. Four of us walked to the bus stop, and traveled together as far at Dongdaemun history and culture park. Then they left to catch another line, while I went on to Ichon, and then Seobinggo. I was glad to have an umbrella. When I got home, Chris and Michele were watching the Sherlock Holmes DVD.
I had a bite to eat, and now I am going to take another try at the embroidery design.
* pic from the back of the bus, and one at the party *

No comments: