Monday, October 17, 2011

And now the race begins...


Woke up at 6:30 in a cold apartment. Michele was still sleeping, so I started cleaning her bathroom. Did the sink, tub and outer part of the toilet ( I did not bring toilet cleaner). Also wiped the washing machine nearby. The drain hose just sits on the floor. I guess doing laundry keeps the floor clean. I took another swipe at the grease spots behind the gas stove top. And then I was going to UV wand the mattress, but it wasn't charged, and I didn't have the cord. Finally Michele's phone alarm went off and woke her up. She dressed and then we walked back to Gate 12, and drove to gate 37. We walked back to my apartment for breakfast, and a shower for me. When I thought I had everything for quilting, I went back to post. But I had forgotten the transformer that needed a fuse. I wanted to return it to the thrift shop. So Michele brought it to me on her way to the bus stop. I arrived at the SPC to find Cathy and Amiee cutting Christmas fabric for the exchange. Other ladies arrived later. I had three kinds of fabric - one for Helle and two for me to choose from in case someone else brought the same thing, which did happen. But we cut our yardage, and made our little piles, and picked a fat quarter from each one. Then we worked on baby quilts, and QOV blocks. I scrounged in the closet to find proper sewing feet from the machines we don't use 'cause the whatchamacallit is missing. And we had another delicious lunch. Quilters can cook. Although, I just cut up cheese. Michele called about 1:20 to say she'd be at the gate in 15 minutes. I packed up my stuff, and said goodbye to the group. They were very nice to me, and we took a group picture with Ana's camera. I may never see some of them again. Very sad. I miss them already. Anyway, I went over to gate 12, got Michele and went to the LG phone store on post to get our accounts exchanged. The man said he could not do it 'cause we were foreigners, etc. We also wanted to schedule two phones to be cut off on Sunday since we are leaving Korea. He couldn't do that either. I called Chris and he came over to hash it out. The man assured us that Michele could call on Monday with our account numbers and get the phones turned off. He also said that as long as she had a photocopy of my ID, even if it was expired, she could get a new phone or whatever even though her phone is in my name (and my phone is in her name). From there we went home and Chris went back to work. I let Michele go ahead to the apt while I parked. She met the man from the moving company who wanted to see what was to be packed tomorrow. She said he was amazed when he looked at my fabric closet. He said it would take two days. One day for UB and packing HHG. Another to move HHG and ship it. Michele stayed to help me go through things and separate out the good from the bad. She selected things from her room to go to the thrift shop, but did not throw the rest of the 'stuff' away. Left it for me, I guess. She asked me to save a piece of fabric to recover a chair seat in her apartment. So I saved the staple gun, too. Don't know when I am going to have time to do that, though. Chris came home and went through his clothes, even as I did mine. I put some in the suitcase, some in Unaccompanied Baggage, and some left out for HHG. A few pieces will go to the thrift shop. Chris wanted to go to bed at a reasonable time, but I figured I would be up all night going through the apartment. He took Michele to her place and helped her carry more stuff up. When he got back, he put the just-washed sheets on the guest bed in her room. He soon went to sleep there because I was sorting in the bedroom. I finished the bathroom, and powder area, then went to the drawers in the night stand. I also printed out a copy of my vacation packing list and am in the middle of that, but I needed a break, so here I am. I found the cord for the UV wand and am charging it now. Also found the quilt Michele wanted, but it needs binding. How can I possibly accomplish all of this? Sadly, my future self is very demanding, and will ask questions like "Why didn't you pack that?', and "Why didn't you leave 'x' for Michele?" "Why did you wait so long to start sorting?" "Why did you take that on the plane when you could have left it in UB?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay you're right the race is on for packing and moving. 2days is good for doing the packing and then the loading. Just keep breathing and smiling during this crunch time. I'm sure you will pack the right things. Smile my friend a new adventure is going to begin soon.
AL from CA