Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Here and gone



We woke up early and started cleaning. Then Chris had to go to post to out-process and tie up loose ends. The moving men came before 8:30. They packed while 3 other men brought a truck with a lift ladder. They slid the boxes out of the window and onto the lift ladder. Then the boxes were gently lowered and placed in a crate. I was told it took 8 crates to hold all of our stuff. If we had the money that the gov't spent on moving our stuff, we could leave most of it here and get other stuff in the states. I did not get breakfast, but stopped midmorning for an Asian pear. I also had two hard-boiled eggs, and finished a jar of kimchi. The men stopped for lunch around 11:30. I could not get a hold of Chris to see if he was planning on buying them lunch like yesterday. But he did. He bought all seven of them Big Macs, which is what they wanted. Just like yesterday. I swept the areas I could reach between the boxes, and the kitchen cabinets that I could reach. When a room cleared, I used the vacuum on it. I ate all my veggie pops except one. One of the movers seemed interested so I gave him one. The look on his face was priceless. He thought it would be ice cream. I cleaned the dryer and washer and the outside of the fridge 'cause they are being picked up tomorrow. Chris brought me a mop, and by then the men were gone. So I mopped the areas that I had swept. Michele came by after class, and then Chris came home. They took stuff over to Michele's apt and to the garbage. Michele did some mopping for me and Chris worked on the food in the fridge. I undressed and cleaned the shower. After obsessively cleaning both bathrooms, I was exhausted. I ate some seaweed and squid. Chris put in one last load of laundry and towels. Then we packed overnight bags, and went to Michele's apt for the night. Sure we could stay at the DHL, but we think they charge too much, even if the gov't is picking up the tab.

No comments: