Saturday, October 15, 2011

Last quilt on the longarm




We heard the alarm go off at 7:30 but stayed in bed a few extra minutes. I showered, sewed an extra strip onto my quilt backing, ate breakfast, and skimmed e-mail. Cathy called to say she wanted to finish her quilt when I was through, and I asked to buy some of her batting. She arrived at the AnC center at the same time I did. I went upstairs to finish last week's quilt. Chris, Michele and Romaric came by. They were on their way to the thrift shop, but it wasn't quite open yet. Michele and Romaric were impressed by the longarm. I answered their questions and let them watch it at work, but then gave them the bum's rush 'cause the people in charge don't like crowds around their expensive machine. When I finished that one, I put on the latest (and last) one. It took me almost three hours to set it up, baste the whole thing, choose thread color and pick a design. But after that, it went really fast. Each row took about 10 minutes, so was done in a hour. I called Cathy several times, but she did not answer her phone. I went to the thrift shop and bought a 220 microwave from Debbie. It was raining. Still couldn't get ahold of Cathy. Nor Chris and Michele. I found out later that they had gone to the movies. So I went to the salon to get my hair cut. There was a 30 minute wait so I went to the PX for coconut oil. Still, I sat and waited for some time. She shaved several tufts of gray hair from the back of my neck. We agreed that I am too young for gray hair. (Michele says I still look 30) After she cut my hair, I tipped her really well, and we hugged and had a pic taken. Then I went to the walk-in gate and parked. Finally I got through to Chris. They were home but planning to go to DHL. So I walked home with my emergency umbrella. Ready for the trash it is. When Chris was ready, we went to DHL to amend our phone contracts. But the clerk said we had to do it during weekday hours. So then we went to Michele's apartment. Driving up such a steep hill scared me. (But driving down was worse.) She is on the 4th (and top) floor of a building with no elevator. It was dirty and food had been left in the fridge. We threw it out. Chris bought a gas burner stove top to replace the old one in there. He hooked it up and got her on the internet. I took a few pics, and marveled at the stuff that was left behind. She won't need any furniture or glassware. She is taking her futon even though there is a bed in one room. She is claiming the other room with all the closets. There is a bathroom with a washing machine. Outside, on the roof is a short clothesline. Good luck, Michele. We came home for supper. We watched a TMNT movie. I mentioned that we might have more important things to do, but I seem to be alone with that thought. I fell asleep during the movie, wrapped in a quilt. When the movie was over, I trimmed my eyebrows and packed the implements. I took two boxes from my sewing room and labeled one PLANE, and the other UB. I selected items for both. I tried to enter my volunteer hours on the VMIS system, but it won't let me in. Then I answered some e-mails, and decided to write this post and then try VMIS again.

No comments: