Thursday, October 27, 2011

Productive day



Woke up around 4am, got up for a glass of water. I feel badly for whoever is below us. The kitchen floor is VERY creaky. Went back to bed. Chris got up after 6, showered, dressed and went to the lodging center for the continental breakfast. He brought me some cream cheese. I showered and ate breakfast, posted to my blog. I spent less time than usual on internet so I could take advantage of the daylight and unpack our suitcases. Then I went outside on the porch to soak up some sunshine. Cecily waved from her porch. They were up and ready to go. So they came over to help carry laundry and soap. They drove us to the lodging center where we found a room of washers and dryers. Each one was $0.75. Cecily had lots of quarters. We divided the laundry into two loads - hot and cold. We put the wet stuff into two dryers. But they did not get hot, so after 45 minutes, the clothes were still wet. We moved them to the really big dryers. Then they were done fairly quickly. No one else was there. We went to the PX food court so Al and Cecily could buy something for lunch. We ate at our respective apartments. When I had finished eating, I sat on the bottom of the steps for some grass time. Occasionally I was bothered by ants and by a bee. I gave it a whiff of kimchi-breath, but it seemed to like that. When my hour was up, I went over to their apt. We went to the on-post housing center. The very nice lady there took us to see a 3 bdrm duplex and a 3 bdrm townhouse. They were nice with lots of storage. Runs about $1000 per month. She also printed out floor plans so we show them to Chris later. Then we went back to the Px. They got razor blades and a sink stopper. I got a jar to ferment coconut milk in. It was 4 by the time we got back. We talked about the housing we had seen. Soon Chris was home and we chatted some more. Then we went to the Mexican restaurant next to the German restaurant we ate at last night. The food was very good and there was too much of it. I think we took home as much as we ate. When we got back, Alfred showed me some cars he found on the internet that he thought I might like. They look nice, but are 100 miles from here so we would have to travel to check them out. Then we said goodbye. They went to bed and we went to bed even though it wasn't that late. I slept well, but still woke up again at 4am.
I feel like I am on vacation and ready to go home. Only there is no home. It was disassembled, packed in boxes, and taken away. I remember feeling the same way three years ago when we moved to Korea.
* In the photo is the tortilla-making machine. *

No comments: