Friday, October 21, 2011

Last day of the adventure



Chris got up very early to go to work. I got up later not realizing how bright it was outside because I had the curtains closed. I had an almost normal breakfast with the nuts, berries, and spices I had packed. I also had my daily dose of supplements. Helped me feel normal. Then I sorted things into piles of things we will need right away (suitcase) and things that can wait a week (post office). I needed some large flat-rate boxes and Chris said to get them fast before he sold my car. So I took a quick shower and drove over to main post only to find that they haven't any. The clerk said it was the economy. They said I could reuse an old one. So I grabbed two medium sized ones, and went back to the hotel. Chris had just arrived to get my car. While he was selling it to the junk man for $300, I continued to pack boxes. Chris brought my sewing machine so I could stuff a few other sewing things in it for shipping. At 11 I headed for Chris' office. He was at the car registration office, but Michele was there and two of his co-workers wanted to take us to lunch. Michele chose the mushroom restaurant. I have already described this in great detail, but one wrong keystroke erased it all. After lunch we dropped Michele off at gate 12 to meet a friend who could show her how to use her Korean washer. We stopped by Chris's office to print labels for his new work address. Then we went to the hotel to pack and label boxes of stuff to ship. Chris left around 2 to close out our bank account. I finished the boxes and loaded them in the biggest suitcase to take to the post office. Chris had to carry the ones that didn't fit. When we got to the main p.o. we filled out the customs forms, and waited to have the boxes processed. It was taking a while, so Chris left to do his next out-processing thing. I stayed until all the boxes were weighed and the postage added up. I realized that they had not given me the flat-rate on the used flat-rate box. The clerk made it right when I pointed it out. Saved $23. Then I walked back to the hotel. I finished one bag of dried squid and started in on another. Then Chris came back from depositing our money in Michele's account. We figured out how to pack the suitcases and carry-ons. Then we went to the commissary to get a few things for Michele. Next I dropped off a jar of yeast for Mary (had to say good bye again) and we parked the car and walked to Michele's apt. God bless her walking up and down that hill everyday. And we had groceries to carry. Michele was glad to see us and the food, especially the cheese and ramen. We talked, Chris worked on her computer, he stapled a new seat to a chair left behind by the last tenant. But all too soon we had to leave. I did not want it to be tearful, but I just couldn't help it. She is ready to be on her own, but I am not. I cried off and on all the way back to the car. We went back to the hotel, took our luggage down to be weighed. Chris figured all our bags were over the 50 pound limit. We waited quite a while for the porter to come. But the news was good, only one bag was over and we re-distributed the items to even out the weight. Now it is time to blog and retire. Tomorrow we get an early start on our trip back to the states. Is this where the adventure ends?

2 comments:

Gail said...

The adventure will NEVER end for you, Fern. You will always find a new one, wherever you go. Enjoy it! I have certainly enjoyed your Korean adventure.

Fern said...

You're right, I just have to find it.