Friday, October 14, 2011

Party for Chris



It was the usual morning routine and some sewing. For some reason, one block in my quilt was but smaller than the rest (years ago). I had added extra sashing to it to make it fit with the others, but that solution stuck out like a sore thumb. I knew if I quilted it, I would have to give it away so I wouldn't have to look at it. So I took that block off, cut the sashing to the same width as the others, and built the other two sides up from leftover scraps, matching the angles. It worked really well. At 11:30 Michele and I walked through the rain to meet Chris at the walk-in gate. He arrived with his Katusa in the front seat. Michele and I sat in back. He drove to the walk-in gate on Camp Coiner. We met other co-workers there and walked through a gate to a restaurant. Chris had sent out a menu so we could choose what we wanted ahead of time. The restaurant had the meals ready and handed them out as people arrived. But I kinda wanted the bulgogi, which had to be ordered in pairs, so Chris changed our order. It was really good. There were so many side dishes that I could have done without the entree. Chris' boss arrived late because of traffic. When most people had eaten, he stood up to say a few words about Chris. He praised Chris as an employee and as a family man. Then others stood up to say a few words. They all but said he walked on water and I asked him later how much he paid them. Ha, ha. But seriously, I was very proud of him. And then Chris stood up to speak. He must have thanked everyone in the room individually. And there were upwards of 25 there. Again, I was impressed and proud. He was given an award certificate, a shirt with an IMCOM patch, and a Korean tablerunner (actually it was handed to me). It was obvious how much he will be missed. After lunch, he dropped Michele and I off at our gate. We went to the apt. I packed an extra shoulder bag and grabbed my thread cone and denim scraps in preparation to go to Dongdaemun one last time. But when I got to my car, I could not find my keys. And I was supposed to meet Ruth Ann at D in a few minutes. I called her to tell her I would be late, and then I searched and searched. My camera was missing too. Chris got Ms. Davis to call the restaurant. They had the camera but not the keys. He fetched it. I walked to Ichon station and took the subway to D. Ruth Ann had already shopped at Happy Quilt. I hadn't planned on it, but she had a beautiful piece and I wanted some too. Also, I had bought a green last week that went with so many things that I wanted more. But it was all sold out. Still, I found plenty to spend money on: a few more coordinates of the teal/blue/purple on black that we all admired at the warehouse. And I got some other greens too. Then we went looking at thread. I got three cones of white. She got two. We looked at denim. I bought two pieces. I showed her a few vendor stalls in bldg D that have quilting-weight fabric. Then we went to the other fabric market. It was after 4 by then. Chris called to tell me that our apartment was being shown and could I be home by 6? Well, that seemed reasonable. I bought some gray fabric for pants, and she got some Korean pancakes (lots of food vendors there, don't go at meal time). We saw tentacles, but they were too expensive. Then we took line 1 to line 4. The man from the magazine called with a few questions. Ruth Ann led me off the train and through the subway system to line 4. Good thing she did 'cause my attention was totally taken by the phone conversation. She got off at Seoul station, and I got off at Sinyongsan. I planned to wait for the post-run bus to take me to my gate, but another pedestrian offered me a ride after hearing the gate guard refuse to scan my card and insisting that I use the automated system. I was worried about missing the bus. She dropped me off at my gate and I was home by 5:50. Chris was at Michele's apartment supervising the installation of internet service and getting the codes. Michele had just gotten home from college. I cleaned up the kitchen and livingroom as best I could. Then a realestate agent brought a group around to see the apartment. Chris went back to work and got home late. I worked on my quilt, finishing the borders. I spread it on the backing only to find out that the backing was too short to trim. But it had to be trimmed. So I cut another 6 inch strip to sew on to it. Then I spread out batting pieces to see if I could piece a batt large enough. Nope. I don't have enough of any particular one. So I hope to call Cathy in the morning. Maybe she will have something.

No comments: