Friday, October 7, 2011

Last trip to the warehouse



I awoke slowly, almost like in a daydream. I think it was a pleasant one - until I looked at the alarm clock and saw that it was almost 8 and remembered that we were supposed to meet at the commissary at 8:30. I quickly had breakfast while skimming my e-mail. I called Cathy to tell her not to leave without me, and I needed to pack a lunch: she suggested I bring cheese. So I cut up a package, and rushed out. I could have walked to the commissary but I knew I would be heavily burdened on the way back so I drove. I got there just as Ruth Ann was getting back from buying a snack in the store. Then we left. Those of us sitting in the back traded work histories, which was a pleasant change from discussing what stinks the worst: diesel, pigs, or paper mills. Don't ask. When we got to the warehouse, the choices were overwhelming. The store is not organized by theme or color. So we just had to look at everything. Some of us went into the second warehouse where the big rolls are. When we found stuff, we had to wait in line to have it cut. But there were rows of 2 yard packages as well. It was all fun. We bought fabric for the Christmas exchange. I looked for white-on-white and pastels because I have so many medium value fabrics. I bought yardage of a few extra wide fabrics for backings. When I got to the register, I had two baskets full. The first basket cost 215,000 won. That was most of the money I had. For the second basket, I had to give him American money, but I had just enough. I went out to the car to store the bags and sit. The others had mostly finished. Then RuthAnn came out and wanted me to go back in to see a piece of pink that she thought was a pastel. So I went, it wasn't, but when the clerk heard that it was my last time and I was moving back to the U.S., he handed me a bag and told me to fill it up for free. I wasn't sure I had understood him correctly, but my friends did, and they offered to help me pick some out. It did not take long. It was like a miracle. We thanked him, and took a bunch of group shots (although not with my camera). (I did my happy dance when no one was looking.) Then we headed home. There was lots of traffic so we drove in the HOV lane. When we got to the commissary, the ladies set up a lunch date for Wednesday to say goodbye to me. I returned Julia's call and she wants to go to lunch on Friday at the fish market. I parked in the lot, and carried two very heavy bags to the apt. I drank several glasses of water and had a snack. I laid down for a bit and when I felt rested, I went back for the other two bags of fabric. I was reading e-mail when Chris came home. He put chicken in the oven for supper. He said his going-away luncheon is Friday, and our pack-out date is Tuesday the 18th. He suggested that we pack our suitcases before then and put them in the car. What do I pack? It is mid-fall, so Christmas fabrics? Baby quilt kits? Pillowcase kits?
Michele came home from college. We ate supper while watching the third X-Men movie. But I had already seen it so I did some sewing. I got out some blocks from a block-of-the-month class that I taught maybe 10 years ago. I laid them out on the bed, and chose a sashing. Chris retired with the blocks still on my side. I finished sashing the blocks and soaked my sprouts. This batch is actually sprouting. I think it is because of the fabric rubberbanded to the top to keep out the fruit flies. Some of it will be ready to eat tomorrow.

No comments: