Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Packed but not shipped



I worked and napped through the night in order to be ready for the packers. I hoped that they would be late, but they were not. They arrived promptly at 8:30. I identified what we had selected for UB, and they packed it in a very large box then asked for more to fill the box. Well, since UB will be delivered in a month and we will probably still be living in a hotel, we won't want much. But in the end there were 5 boxes. What are we going to do with them? Get an extra-large hotel room? They did not ship the UB boxes. They continued to pack everything else. One man stayed in my sewing room ALL day. I have to wonder if he wrapped each piece of fabric in paper. And still, at 4:40, they were not finished, and said they could wrap it up tomorrow and then move the boxes to the truck waiting 6 stories below. I spent the day sorting and making sure they packed everything but didn't pack the recyclables, or the trash, or the stuff for Michele, or for the thrift shop. I think I remembered to pull out all the important stuff for taking on the plane. I also swept around to get the dust that appeared as they moved things. At 11 Chris went to Burger King to buy lunch for the men. Even he ate burgers. I ate squid and seaweed. They kinda laughed at me. After lunch, Chris took a load of trash to the post, and thrift shop. I started to fall asleep and had to call him to watch in my place. The bathroom and one bedroom were full of stuff not to be packed, so I had to eek out a space to nap. I was so tired, but the noise of the ripping tape kept me awake for awhile. When they left, it was blessedly quiet. Chris brought me some leftover chicken and I ate it ravenously. I was chilly so put on socks and a jacket. When Michele got back from college, she helped Chris load up the trash and more thrift shop donations to his car. When they came back, they took the stuff for her apartment. Then he returned alone. I sorted and took out three loads of recyclables, making another thrift pile. Then I looked through the remaining pile of empty boxes to find one just the right size to mail the Conkerr Cancer pillowcases. We have 42! When they were packed and sealed, I sat on the bed to use my laptop to get an address to send them to. For some reason my reception is so low, that I could not get to the website. Chris did for me on his laptop. Finally I had to sit in the computer room next to the router to get a strong enough signal to surf the net and write to this blog. At the moment, I am filthy, but happy to be this far along in the process. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier. Once the boxes are gone, we will vacuum, and wipe and be done! At least until Thursday when the army comes to get their refrigerator, washer, and dryer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!
Hope you sleep well at the DHL.
Go get your nails done or your feet. You deserve to be pampered.
AL from CA