Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A choir from four churches

I was up so late last night that I slept in. Not sure when I got up, but Dad already had Mom dressed and sitting at the kitchen table. I rubbed magnesium oil on her clenched hand. I helped Dad give her her pills, then fixed my own breakfast. Dad was in a state trying to get everything done early in order to make it to church by 6 to practice with the joint choir. I read e-mail while he sorted Mom's pills for the week. Then I helped him make lunch since it was after 12. We did not eat until 1. After we ate, Kevin came over to clean. I was darning Dad's socks. In addition to the holes in the toes, he wanted me to darn the heels for the future holes they might get. Kevin cleaned the house and made two casseroles. Dad fixed 2 plates of food for himself and Mom at 4. It was too early for me to eat. I dressed up for church. Then we put Mom in the car and left. We got there right at 6. Dad sat Mom in a pew and carried off the wheelchair. I sat with her while the choir practiced and the service proceeded. The choir sounded great and the organist was even better. I wanted to clap. After the service, Mom was more alert and responsive than I have seen her in several years. She greeted Ansuya and Henry with a big smile and held a conversation. Dad took her into the main room where refreshments were laid out. Dad helped her put her choices on a plate but he didn't give it to her. I talked to several people in the room and got myself a cup of nuts. I held it out to Mom so she would have something to eat. Finally Dad rolled her to a table and put her bib on so she could eat. When I came back, her food was gone, and Dad admitted that he 'helped' her eat it. He was feeling drowsy so he asked me to drive home. I wasn't thrilled about driving his car, but I needed the practice for the trip to the dentist tomorrow. When we got home, we brought Mom in. Dad fed her and himself whatever foods he thought they should have had earlier. I ate a bowlful of Italian Veggie casserole and some leftover spicy rice. Then Dad allowed me to cut the new casseroles so he could put them in the frig. One had to be cut down the middle and across to make 12 pieces. He gave me a regular ruler. Then next one was in an 8 inch square dish. He wanted it cut into thirds so I asked him if he cut it at 2 5/8 on the regular ruler. But no, he had a triangular ruler and he used the side that measured the dish as 24 units across. So I cut the casserole into sections that were precisely 8 units by 8 units. Then we got Mom ready for bed. She washed her hands by herself. I put on the bedtime splint and Dad tweaked it to fit. Then I kissed her goodnight and came out to the livingroom to write to my blog.

No comments: