Monday, November 19, 2012

The Mecca of Raking

We got up and took a shower together. The parents were up by then, so we went to the kitchen for breakfast. Cecily had to go clean the church. We read e-mail until lunchtime. After lunch, we put my stuff in the car and went to buy kimchi at the local store. The lady was surprised to get three of her large jars back all at once. She tried to sell us radish kimchi, but I prefer the cabbage one. So that is what we got. Then we went to my parents house, listening to another CD of the book. My dad helped us carry stuff in. He and Mom had just had lunch. Chris reconfigured Dad's wifi and did something with the printer. I sat and crocheted while watching Mom. After Chris left, Dad gave me a pile of mending. The dress pants should be replaced but he doesn't remember where he got them. Mom probably got them for him years ago. I wanted to take Mom to Joanns for elastic and matching thread, but Dad thought it was too dangerous. But I found some used elastic that was still good. I stitched it into Dad's pajama pants. Then I patched the pocket of his dress pants and re-hemmed them shorter to hide the ragged edges where he has been walking on them. By then it was supper time. Dad fixed plates for the three of us. Mom insisted on sitting at the table before he was done. I gave her her pills and fed her spoonfuls of water until her plate was ready. Then we read the Bible and the daily reading. As we ate, Dad was finding more stuff to eat. Mom ate most of her food and two big helpings of kimchi. Then she seemed finished, but Dad fed her the rest of what was on her plate plus grapes and a cookie. I couldn't watch, so I sat and crocheted. Then he sat her in the den while he cleaned up from supper and did other things. I kept offering to help. Finally it was time to take her to bed. He let me get her ready. But the final step was to put on a complicated splint that was so expensive, that it could only be rented ( for $1000 if I understood him correctly). We were up until midnight trying to figure out how to get in on. The splint lady took a photo of it for him, but the photo only showed one side. The problem turned out to be on the other side. Now I am exhausted and looking forward to going to bed. The house is cold so I grabbed some extra blankets from the linen cabinet.

No comments: