Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day






My day started at 7:30 with all the usual trappings: e-mail, exercise, breakfast, audios, etc. The bright spot was a lovely valentine card Chris left sitting on my laptop where I would be sure to see it. Valentine's Day snuck up on me so I didn't have a card for him. Around lunch time I went outside in the beautiful sunlight. It felt so good. I went barefoot, picked up sticks, swept the patio, and spread out the plastic tarp to dry in the carport. When I came in, I set my laptop on the table and it made a loud buzzing. I thought maybe something got caught in the fan, but there was nothing. I tried to shut the laptop down so it wouldn't hurt itself, but it wouldn't let me end the programs that were running, and it took forever to do it. When it finally did, it then decided to install updates before shutting down. But it never did, just sat there, making that awful noise. I tried pressing the power switch, but that didn't work. So I ejected the battery. Ah, the blessed silence. I left it in time-out for awhile. Then I noticed a bulge in the back panel, so I took the panel off. There was nothing I could see that looked like a fan, so I put it back on, and this time it snapped flat into place. I called my parents and talked to my dad for awhile, before getting to talk to my mom. I asked her how to cook beef tongue. She said to cook it and peel it. So I asked if I should boil it and she said yes, for 10 minutes. After I hung up, I tried to start my computer and look up how to cook beef tongue, but it took awhile to boot and then started doing something with updates. So I threw the tongue in a glass pan with water and set it to boil. When I was finally able to surf the net, I found out that one should soak it in cold water and scrub it with a brush before cooking it for 2 hours or more. Oh well. I changed the water and let it cook on. I decanted the kombucha into glass jars. Then I started the process of transferring 20 pounds of cacao nibs into jars, plastic containers and anything else I could find that would fit into the cupboard. I also made up 8 days worth of supplements, setting aside nearly empty bottles to remind me to reorder. About 4:45 I changed into a little something to welcome Chris home. When he came in and saw what I was wearing, he told me that he wasn't feeling well, he had a sore throat, and possibly a light fever. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Why let a little thing like a virus get in the way? When the tongue was fully cooked, I peeled it and ate part of it, putting the rest in a container for another day. I practiced my trombone to get in shape for Easter. I finally solved the Sudoku puzzle that has had me stumped for several days now and did another one, although at the very end something went wrong. Then Chris and I watched "To Catch a Thief" with Cary Grant. Al called us on Skype to chat for a moment. I wrote my blog post and included this picture of the latest two origami items. Blogger now is defaulting to a new HTML which doesn't allow the text to fill in next to the picture. See yesterdays post. So I had to copy the HTML from earlier in the week. It took a couple of tried to get it right. After that we pretty much puttered around and went to bed.

No comments: