Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Finding Foam is not Fun

I got up pretty early thinking that I could readjust my sleep schedule. Early to rise, early to bed, right? But I found myself taking a long nap and reawakening at 9:10. So much for getting up early. And I was really hungry. Normally I try to hold off until 11, but I exercised as quick as I could and had breakfast at 10. I read e-mail and listened to some audios. I packed a plastic bag with rubbing alcohol, a Command strip hook, a cotton ball, masking tape and a tape measure. And the papers with the foam info on them. I arrived at the church at noon. Cecelia wasn't there yet so I chatted with the secretary and the intern until she arrived. We talked in the fellowship hall, and then went into the pastor's office to call the foam place in Florida. All we got was an answering machine. We left a message and then decided to go order the fabric. But the fabric place had closed. The building was empty and there was a sign on the door giving the address of their Birmingham store, and the website. So we went to the nearby Hancocks to see if they could order the fabric. But no. Cecelia went home and I stayed to shop. I bought two pieces of fabric for charity projects. Then I went back to the church. I let the intern know I was there. Then I did some measuring to determine where the quilt should hang. I found a ladder and mounted the hook on the wall. I notified the intern and went home. I laid out in the sun, getting bit, and then read e-mail. At 4 I went into my sewing room determined to make a project for the color challenge for tonight. The fabric was all picked out so all I had to do was come up with a quick plan. I decided to make a snap-close pouch like I gave Faye for her birthday. In an hour it was done. I went upstairs to greet Chris and eat half a cantaloupe for supper. I finished it off with some frozen blueberries and had to scrub my teeth and lips to avoid looking scary. I gathered up my assorted show-n-tells and left for UAH. I was a little early and sat in the cold room, listening to others talk. The others arrived fairly soon but the meeting was slow getting started. Amanda collected the color challenge pieces and arrayed them at the front of the room. Deb passed out the items used in the library display. She started the meeting with a demo on how to baste a quilt on a table smaller than the quilt. She used picnic table clamps and Elmers glue and an iron. We had show-n-tell. She passed out books and patterns for making totes and bags. I think that is a challenge for another meeting. We voted on the color challenge and I didn't win. One lady made a whole quilt top, which beat my pouch. After the meeting I chatted with Amanda and Rachel until everyone had left. Then we went our separate ways. I stopped by the Asian store on the way home to buy kimbap and natto. When I got home, I ate some of both and then we watched Logan's Run, courtesy of Netflix. I thought I had seen it long ago, but this did not seem as familiar as I expected. I certainly didn't remember Michael York as the leading actor. When it was over, Chris went to bed, and I stayed up to write two blog posts.
* The pattern of this show-n-tell quilt would look great in Asian fabrics, too *

No comments: