Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Today went unexpectedly well.

I woke up thinking something was wrong, and it was. I had a little clean-up to do. I know my brother reads my blog so I won't mention what had to be cleaned up. I got a few errands done before breakfast. I played an audio. I used a stain stick to get some yellow stains out of two white shirts. I don't remember either of them having yellow spots when they went into the laundry. But the spots came out and I rinsed the shirts and hung them to dry. I noticed it had rained overnight, so I checked the basement for water. Nope. I sorted junk mail. I noticed that my left ear was crusted with blood and was afraid it had closed up. I tapped for anxiety about it, then rubbed it with coconut oil and put in an earring. I was amazed how easy and painless it was. After a little exercise, it was time for breakfast. After breakfast, I searched through my boxes for one the right size to mail a quilt top to Cathy. I packed it and wrote her address on a piece of paper. I read e-mail, and looked through the pics of various arrangements of quilt blocks from Lisa's class. None of them were quite right and I thought I would have to make more blocks. I auditioned a series of blues and a series of greens for the job. But when I actually counted the blocks I had, there were 36, meaning that there had to be an arrangement that would result in a square symmetrical quilt top without the need to construct more blocks. About 2:45 I left the house. I drove to the farmer's market at Latham. I found a place to park across the railroad tracks. I wasn't sure I could park there, but then the guy behind me did it. So I did too. I heard the bell ring for sales to begin. Then the crowd of people descended. Most vendors were selling fresh produce, but some had bread, jams, or cheese. I bought some caladiums and a begonia. I also bought goat cheese, and blackberries. Then I went to the post office to mail the package. I was home before 3:30. I arranged and re-arranged the quilt blocks on the pingpong table until I found one that worked. I investigated the tiny chirping coming from the insulation overhead. Then I started sewing pieces together until it was one whole top. Chris came home. My phone must have rung because he came down to ask me if I was handing out my phone number to strangers and calling myself Brandon. Darn! I was hoping he wouldn't find out. I heard the doorbell ring. Chris accepted a package (or two). Later when I had come up for supper, the doorbell rang again, and there was another package. Everything Cecelia and I had ordered had arrived: fabric, foam, and cording. No more excuses for not getting started. Well, maybe one. I called Cecelia and we agreed to meet on Thursday to buy the wool padding and thread. She suggested we wait until after Pastor Ettraim's 50th celebration to take any of the kneelers apart. I took the foam into the garage to set it free from it's plastic prison. It needed to breathe. I tried cutting it with a metal ruler and a box cutter, but that did not work. Cecelia had offered to buy an electric knife, but I wanted to see if there was any cheaper way to cut it. I saw a video where they used a jigsaw with a foam-cutting blade. I could not find one listed at Home Depot online. But I did find a jigsaw in the garage. Then it was TV time. We watched one episode of Nightstalker and one episode of 3rd Rock. Chris went to bed, and I stayed up. Lately I have been tapping myself to drowsiness in the den and then going to bed.

No comments: